NPS coral care tips

LeonardTheWrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I'm doing some preliminary research into NPS corals. I'd really like to be able to keep some in the future, so any information would be super helpful.

I know the basics of caring for NPS corals, light (or lack thereof), flow, placement, feeding, water parameters, etc, but I haven't gotten much further than that.

I also need to find a way to save a couple sun corals that are not doing well at all. I don't know the last time they ate, or extended their polyps. Not sure whether they would be salvageable at this point, but any info would be helpful than none.
My LFS has a couple withering sun corals that they received accidentally, and I'd like some further advice or information on how to help them keep the sun corals alive.

Thanks

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't kept them myself (so hopefully someone who has will chime in for you here), but the one thing that I remember which I've seen recommended for sun corals by multiple different people who have kept them successfully at this point is to feed them daily.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I'm doing some preliminary research into NPS corals. I'd really like to be able to keep some in the future, so any information would be super helpful.

I know the basics of caring for NPS corals, light (or lack thereof), flow, placement, feeding, water parameters, etc, but I haven't gotten much further than that.

I also need to find a way to save a couple sun corals that are not doing well at all. I don't know the last time they ate, or extended their polyps. Not sure whether they would be salvageable at this point, but any info would be helpful than none.
My LFS has a couple withering sun corals that they received accidentally, and I'd like some further advice or information on how to help them keep the sun corals alive.

Thanks
I've kept many actually. I absolutely love them , especially black sun corals which happen to be the most difficult... they're not difficult AS LONG as you don't neglect feeding them for days or weeks. Every day is best, they are VERY hungry so if you fed twice a day theyd eat although that wouldn't necessarily be necessary. I don't think you'll likely be able to salvage a dying sun coral because as they begin to die they become increasingly reluctant to eat...the hardest part of keeping them is only the beginning when they're not used to being fed. After a few feedings, they'll usually open right up. Many will even open in bright light when they sense food after a while! They're a true joy for me!

OP
OP
LeonardTheWrasse

LeonardTheWrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've kept many actually. I absolutely love them , especially black sun corals which happen to be the most difficult... they're not difficult AS LONG as you don't neglect feeding them for days or weeks. Every day is best, they are VERY hungry so if you fed twice a day theyd eat although that wouldn't necessarily be necessary. I don't think you'll likely be able to salvage a dying sun coral because as they begin to die they become increasingly reluctant to eat...the hardest part of keeping them is only the beginning when they're not used to being fed. After a few feedings, they'll usually open right up. Many will even open in bright light when they sense food after a while! They're a true joy for me!
I'd love to be able to keep one. If I were to try and keep one, which type should I go for? The black suns are my favourite, but as you said, they are the most difficult, so I don't think they should be the ones that I start with.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd love to be able to keep one. If I were to try and keep one, which type should I go for? The black suns are my favourite, but as you said, they are the most difficult, so I don't think they should be the ones that I start with.
I'd begin with any of the orange/yellow Tubastrea genus. Some look like the ones in my pic and some are like fist shaped...they have very similar care requirements and will respond to food easier when you first get it. Some people have even had them spawn although that very rare. Get used to feeding them with tweezers each night so you're used to it and have the patience for the black sun corals (Tubastrea micranthus). They're VERY slow growing although I do believe I've had them grow slightly...and are very reluctant to eat initially. Most people simply don't have the patience. They're the only branching Tubastrea species which makes them look pretty cool!

There are other similar looking NPS called dendros but I would advise you to start with them either.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll figure out fairly quickly if you want to keep them...some people would never want to have to give that much care to a coral individually while I actually enjoyed feeding each polyp at night.

Btw, they won't starve from missing a single night of feeding, just don't neglect them because they're literally starving and will be more reluctant to open as they slowly starve.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back