Caribfan's 240 Miracles Renovation - FOWLR

Caribfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I've been away from the forums for a while and am new to this forum in particular. I'm a FOWLR guy, specifically butterflies in the past, but this build / renovation won't necessarily be focused on those species. As the title states, the tank is a 240 Miracles that I bought second hand back in 2014. The filtration was DIY sump that I built out of a 50 breeder and a EuroReef RC 500.2 skimmer, however that has not been in use for some time.

My wife and I started a vegetable farm 4 years ago and the tank took a definitive spot on the proverbial back burner for most of those four years. The only filtration was accomplished via an MP40 circulating water, live rock and a Reef Octopus HOB skimmer in the overflow, but no sump or Euroreef for those 4 years.

That is still the situation today although, I'm working on a new filtration system design. The tank is now in my office as opposed to the basement, so some of my priorities have changed, specifically noise level. I had intended to set up the old filtration system, but while I was cleaning up the old sump, I broke an end panel, so at this point, I think I'm just going to move forward with the new equipment design.

Current inhabitants are as follows:
Paracentropyge Venustus (Venustus Angel): 1, Been in my care since 2014
Zebrasoma flavescens (Yellow Tang): 1, Been around since 2017 ish
Johnrandallia nigrirostris (Mexican Barberfish): 1, Been around since 2017 ish.

I have a second Venustus coming tomorrow along with 5 talbots damselfish (first saltwater fish I owned) and two Pearly Jawfish on Friday. All my fish go through a 6 - 8 week quarantine process, which in includes a 4 week Cupramine regimen, freshwater dips and Prazipro if necessary, based on the outcome of the freshwater dip. This strategy may seem archaic, but it's kept my tank from having parasite outbreaks since 2014, so I stick with it.

The short list for tank additions is as follows:
- Moorish Idol
- Rainfordi Butterfly
- Pyramid Butterfly (trio)
- Bella Gobies (Pair)
- Red Sea Regal

Thats a lot of words for one night, I'll try to get some pictures posted tomorrow of the tank as it sits and the quaratine system. Lots of work ahead of me, but that's what makes this hobby fun..

OP
OP
C

Caribfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
54A4E216-EE09-4DA5-94EE-C71FC7EBBF2C.jpeg
2497342C-DD45-4CD9-9366-E964DF946B76.jpeg
4FD3EE3A-4183-4B45-A167-B9B204A696DD.jpeg

OP
OP
C

Caribfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
847B274C-C35A-497B-B5B9-2C758107B1BB.jpeg
527A0994-3D82-4D46-9F84-97593C111DF1.jpeg

Talbots and Venustus came in well, although my Talbots seem a bit more blurry in the pictures than in real life, lol, maybe I need to learn how to take pictures.

They will get two weeks in quarantine to get established and eating well, then 4 weeks of cupramine, followed by a week or two of observation.

Pretty encouraged to see the venustus eating LRS fish frenzy all ready.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice! I really really want to do a FOWLR for year focusing on butterflies. someday when i have a large tank.
keep the updates coming. I enjoy seeing these come together.

OP
OP
C

Caribfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice! I really really want to do a FOWLR for year focusing on butterflies. someday when i have a large tank.
keep the updates coming. I enjoy seeing these come together.
Thanks, it's going to be a pretty slow process due to us being in full swing on the produce season at my farm.

I do have a short list of butterflies, most of which I have owned in the past. I intend to have the following when all is said and done:
- C. Mitratus
- C. Rainfordi (one of my favorites)
- Roa Modestus
- C. Declivis (never owned before)
- C. Octofasciatus
- C. Flavirostris
- Hemitaurichthys polylepis (pyramid in a group)

I probably won't start messing with the butterflies until the fall...unless a rainfordi becomes available.

There are a lot of "infrastructure" type of projects that need to take place as well. I need to get my quarantine tank room / water change room set up. I'll try to document that stuff as well.

Thanks for checking in.

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Matt, it's great to see your tank is still working, I learned a lot reading your old build thread, I see some interesting fish on your wish list, do you have any plans to get Coradion altivelis back?

oceancowboy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While they are cool....I'd skip the Moorish Idol. It is really hard to get a hardy specimen, and they don't usually adapt very well. If you have butterfly experience....Suggest a Semiv. if you can get them.

Ironwill723

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
847B274C-C35A-497B-B5B9-2C758107B1BB.jpeg
527A0994-3D82-4D46-9F84-97593C111DF1.jpeg

Talbots and Venustus came in well, although my Talbots seem a bit more blurry in the pictures than in real life, lol, maybe I need to learn how to take pictures.

They will get two weeks in quarantine to get established and eating well, then 4 weeks of cupramine, followed by a week or two of observation.

Pretty encouraged to see the venustus eating LRS fish frenzy all ready.
Where did you order your Venustus from? Looks good.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back