Caring for a rainbow bubble tip anemone

aws2266

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been my plan to add an anemone to my reef tank since the beginning. My LFS has rainbow bubble tips on sale for $49.99. Anything I should know or be aware of? I have a 120g that's been setup since the 1st of the year. Below are my inhabitants.

Black and white ocellaris clownfish
Orange ocellaris clownfish
yellow coris wrasse
possum wrasse
blue tang
3 green chromis
cleaner shirmp

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
to be completely honest all an anemone needs is decent flow, strongish lighting and a stable system to thrive.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you've been planning on this addition for almost 1 year, I'm guessing you've done your research. I'd try and create a nice little cave or nook for it in the ideal place I'd like it to stay, but understand it might not like that spot and decide to move on it's own. Lowering or turning off flow for a bit is recommended to let it attach before it blows around, but I wouldn't turn it off for a prolonged period, you want the nem to find the spot it likes with your tank's normal flow and lighting. It may walk around for a bit and inflate/deflate in the first few days as it gets adjusted. Or it might settle where you want it and look perfect from the get go. A nem guard on your pumps is highly recommended.

MECOMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been my plan to add an anemone to my reef tank since the beginning. My LFS has rainbow bubble tips on sale for $49.99. Anything I should know or be aware of? I have a 120g that's been setup since the 1st of the year. Below are my inhabitants.

Black and white ocellaris clownfish
Orange ocellaris clownfish
yellow coris wrasse
possum wrasse
blue tang
3 green chromis
cleaner shirmp
As always these are just my thoughts on my experience,

I added my Rainbow bubble tip around the 8-10 month mark as well so the timing should align ok. A couple things to note:

-They multiply pretty quickly especially when they are being actively fed. I bought one and after a year and a half or so i now have 6. I stopped feeding them when they were at 4. In other words i used to have a 'trench' in the middle of my tank, now i have 'Anemone Row'

-My clownfish found them right away and feed them here and there regularly so you dont have to overthink feeding unless it seems like a need or it the clownfish seem to ignore for a while.

-They will keep moving till they find their happy place, they are fun to watch 'walk' around

-Put them in a nice spot to let them settle in, as others have said maybe a cave with minimal or lesser flow (they will most likely start moving quickly after). I very gently kept my hand over it so it could grab the rock and never changed flow or lighting, but to each their own.

Out of the anemones ive had the Rainbow attached to my tank the quickest. If you are looking at a healthy specimen then they are just a joy.

Later days,

B-Kind

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My rbta lost its bubbles after the first time I fed it. I would personally never feed one unless you have poor lights. If you have clowns they will get fed, my male feeds his all the time. For me, personally, rbta are the easiest things to keep, I got my original one at less than 3 months on the tank, and I was a newb. Grown and split many times and several tank moves later still doing great Mine have gone through nightmare swings without a hitch.

Attachments

• IMG_20221115_184811649.jpg
    IMG_20221115_184811649.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 141

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put the nem in the tank where you think it would do best. Which is prob not the case and it will move. Cross fingers it doesn't settle on a coral.
I turn off flow till its attached than turn flow back on. I find that if you turn down flow for a bit and than back to normal the nem will possibly start moving.
I started with one and now have 16 that's not counting what I've traded to lfs and reefers.

Mppp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My rbta lost its bubbles after the first time I fed it. I would personally never feed one unless you have poor lights. If you have clowns they will get fed, my male feeds his all the time. For me, personally, rbta are the easiest things to keep, I got my original one at less than 3 months on the tank, and I was a newb. Grown and split many times and several tank moves later still doing great Mine have gone through nightmare swings without a hitch.
I've always wondered why mine lost their bubble tips amazing I've never read this before. Btw awesome trumpet colony what do you keep your parameters at if you don't mind sharing. Nitrate/phosphate/alk/cal/magnesium. I know BTAs don't really care but assume trumpets do.

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always wondered why mine lost their bubble tips amazing I've never read this before. Btw awesome trumpet colony what do you keep your parameters at if you don't mind sharing. Nitrate/phosphate/alk/cal/magnesium. I know BTAs don't really care but assume trumpets do.
Parameters? What are those? This tank I rarely check and that pick is just after a water change, the previous water change was no less than 2 months prior. I dose nothing to this tank.

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think ur good to go. don't forget nemguard ( bc they like to get shredded by the wave makers) and gold luck with the anenome.
Yep. Top of the list. Mine went on a walk and well ..... I don’t have one anymore and haven’t bought a replacement (it’s been a year .... still traumatized).

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, the rbta sting the heck out of that trumpet and mostly killed the one side. My water change water is ~8-9 dkh and 400+ Cal, I don't check mag as my red Sea kits always tell me I'm 1600. I use roughly 50/50 IO regular and reef crystal

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back