Carnation Coral Adventure

Cantusaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also for food, i see many people saying they use roti feast and oyster feast, but no one really mentions phyto feast. Can phyto feast still be used?
Yeah, I have heard Phytofeast is really good. I have never tried it though. I recently tried Seachem Phyto, and I gotta say. I love it. I use it 1-2 times a week. I do a little less then daily amount in a small cup, and dilute it with tank water to have a larger amount to spot feed, and the corals just absolutely love it. They react super strongly, especially Zoas, but I think my Carnation really benefits from it. It has a large mixture of species and sizes, but I am not sure if other brands are better or not, but for the price, and long shelf life (refrigerating it) I don't think you can beat that.
You could also consider live phyto.

OP
OP
PokeFish

PokeFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats a good idea :) thank you
You could just pick an obvious small branch and count those polypsand see if the count changes over time. The growth and tendril spread at the base is perhaps an easier indicator of growth to keep track of and is what I look at, mostly If the tendrils are spreading and new sprigs are being produced, then the coral has received enough nutrition beyond just 'maintaining' itself.

Careful observation of photos and videos of NPS corals in nature shows how profuse the spread can be under the right conditions:

wfm-dpr53306.jpg

https://reefbuilders.com/2011/08/26/raja-ampat-nps-heaven/

Seeing these images brings home the fact that we still have a long way to go...

Paleozoic_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought this one for $10 from my LSF because it never opened for months. It didn't do any better in my DT and never opened up either.
91C9A2B4-1E41-4449-8FF2-3BE1B424A63E.jpeg

after almost 3 months of looking the same and never opening I decided to through it into my empty filter cup in my sump. The next day it opened up 3 times it size! It's been in my filter cup ever since!
133C6505-8FC5-4693-84F4-56E80D1F5A9A.jpeg

Cantusaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought this one for $10 from my LSF because it never opened for months. It didn't do any better in my DT and never opened up either.

after almost 3 months of looking the same and never opening I decided to through it into my empty filter cup in my sump. The next day it opened up 3 times it size! It's been in my filter cup ever since!
Is the filter cup in the direct flow? Or just kind of in a random spot in the sump.
Yeah I think if you provide them even a somewhat adequate location they do much better. Too much light and not enough flow really does not help them out.
But that's great to see, and dang it really is opened up a lot!

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I've seen from other similar account that often the best location for these is one where we can't properly view/enjoy the coral :rolleyes:

Maybe frag a piece or two and try different location in the display? These NPS are known to heal really quickly from a cut. I sliced a small branch off of mine and it closed over in about 8 hours and fully healed in 3 days...with polyp nubbins already starting.

Edit: I see you've tried places in the display with no luck...

OP
OP
PokeFish

PokeFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

maybe it cuz of all the random stuff that passes through there

OP
OP
PokeFish

PokeFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question: how much phyto, roti, or oyster fesst should i be feeding everytime i dose? I usually eyeball it at around .5-1.5 tbsp each time. I read instructions and it says 1-2 teasoons PER DAY? That probably isnt referjnh to nps but now idk how nych to feed

OP
OP
PokeFish

PokeFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyways i can lower nitrates and phos without doing so many waterchanges? The feedjngs have made my parameters very elevated. I currently have one big fuge

OP
OP
PokeFish

PokeFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should i use or no? I was thnkkng if i put in sump itll filter out the access particulates that carnatuon cant eat

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 39.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 22.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 51 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back