Diatoms Issue

joanropi17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a diatoms issue. I'm treating them with PhosGuard, NO3PO4 and water changes. Now, I started 3 weeks ago adding Oyster-Feast and Phyto-Feast from Reef Nutrition, my corals are looking more happy and I'm guessing that my Copepods too but, I notice that the algae that is growing in my rocks are getting bigger but it is still clear algae. Have somebody have the same issue? Does Phytoplankton feed diatoms? should I stop the Phytoplankton and Oyster eggs? I cleaned my tank yesterday so, I don't have pics.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your tank is brand new, the diatoms is very normal. We all get it, as the diatoms consume the silicates in the new sand,. Once the silicates supply is consumed, the diatoms die, usually a couple of weeks. No dosing required, no water changes, no panicking.

If you have a mature tank and have diatoms, I once got diatoms from now changing out my rodi filters. Once I changed the filters the problem was solved.

After the diatoms, you will start to see different algae's, again its all normal part of a new tank. Better to learn how to control the parameters, therefore controlling algae, before looking to quick bottled solutions.

Again, all depends how old your tank is

Rp8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going thru it with a new tank(not my first one) they will pass. Stop trying to chemifix it. If you don’t like how it looks do a water change/stir the very top layer.I know it sucks. Patience, even a mature tank can’t stand large adjustments(chemifixing stuff)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back