Carpenter Flasher Wrasse - weird stripes after white spots disappeared

Jtwy88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My carpenter flasher wrasse was covered in tiny white spots yesterday. As I do not have a QT set up, I dosed the tank with a natural ich treatment yesterday afternoon and also did a freshwater dip in the evening. This morning, I noticed that the white spots are gone but the fish still look like it's dying; just lying on the sandbed and not interested in the food at all. I also noticed some weird discolouration stripes on it (which I am pretty sure weren't there before). My questions now are:

1. Any idea what caused those stripes?
2. Should I set up an emergency isolation bucket and treat it with copper or just continuing dosing the tank with the natural treatment?

OP
OP
J

Jtwy88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_6373.JPG

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-02-10 at 12.02.16 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-10 at 12.02.16 PM.png
    326.1 KB · Views: 26
Upvote 0

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My mccoskers was like this one night l when I was quarantining him with copper but I added an air line and he seems much better.

Upvote 0

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience I’ve only had a carpenter and mccoskers so it might help, my carpenters started turning white when my flameback kept picking at him I felt so bad. Maybe something is stressing the carpenters?

Upvote 0

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those stripes appear when they're stressed.

If you can pull the wrasse out and treat in a separate tank that would be best. Spots coming and going could be ich ramping up. Flasher wrasses handle chelated copper better. Copper Power works well just maintain it at a therapeutic level of 2.5ppm for 30 days, using a hanna copper checker will help you maintain your level. You should also treat the rest of your fish and let your DT go through a fallow period of 76 days. I hope he pulls through, good luck!

Upvote 0

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you can pull the wrasse out and treat in a separate tank that would be best. Spots coming and going could be ich ramping up. Flasher wrasses handle chelated copper better. Copper Power works well just maintain it at a therapeutic level of 2.5ppm for 30 days, using a hanna copper checker will help you maintain your level. You should also treat the rest of your fish and let your DT go through a fallow period of 76 days. I hope he pulls through, good luck!
I’ve been using cupramine in my qt tank, I bought not from the store and I’ve been quarantining it

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

Jtwy88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank you for the advice! Will try my best to capture it.

Upvote 0

Losthawk69

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My carpenter flasher wrasse was covered in tiny white spots yesterday. As I do not have a QT set up, I dosed the tank with a natural ich treatment yesterday afternoon and also did a freshwater dip in the evening. This morning, I noticed that the white spots are gone but the fish still look like it's dying; just lying on the sandbed and not interested in the food at all. I also noticed some weird discolouration stripes on it (which I am pretty sure weren't there before). My questions now are:

1. Any idea what caused those stripes?
2. Should I set up an emergency isolation bucket and treat it with copper or just continuing dosing the tank with the natural treatment?
I been through this with a Carpenter wrasse it's just stress will go back to normal

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 8 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 29 60.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.2%
Back