Carpenter's flasher wrasse spot on head

saltwaterswiftie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered 3 wrasses (Carpenter's flasher wrasse, Tricolor fairy wrasse and Yellow coris wrasse) from Blue Zoo Aquatics that were supposed to be delivered Tuesday but due to a UPS delay they were stuck in transit until yesterday morning (probably about 36hrs). All three are in a 10gallon QT tank with no meds.

I noticed today a spot on the Carpenter's flasher wrasses head. He did eat some this morning as well. Is this a disease? Should I separate him from the other wrasses? I do not see anything on the tricolor fairy wrasse and the yellow coris has been hiding in the sand so I have not seen anything on him.

IMG_0699.jpeg IMG_0700.jpeg IMG_0701.jpeg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Apologies - I cannot see what you're seeing. Can you get a close-up?

OP
OP
saltwaterswiftie

saltwaterswiftie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apologies - I cannot see what you're seeing. Can you get a close-up?
I got a few more pics. The fish keeps swimming away from me and is hiding.

Attachments

• IMG_0709.jpg
    IMG_0709.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0705.jpeg
    IMG_0705.jpeg
    153.8 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0701.jpeg
    IMG_0701.jpeg
    170.4 KB · Views: 41

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I ordered 3 wrasses (Carpenter's flasher wrasse, Tricolor fairy wrasse and Yellow coris wrasse) from Blue Zoo Aquatics that were supposed to be delivered Tuesday but due to a UPS delay they were stuck in transit until yesterday morning (probably about 36hrs). All three are in a 10gallon QT tank with no meds.

I noticed today a spot on the Carpenter's flasher wrasses head. He did eat some this morning as well. Is this a disease? Should I separate him from the other wrasses? I do not see anything on the tricolor fairy wrasse and the yellow coris has been hiding in the sand so I have not seen anything on him.

IMG_0699.jpeg IMG_0700.jpeg IMG_0701.jpeg
Looks like a possible injury but cant confirm with the little room shown in pic. Assuming its under a tub, can have gotten injury from tub or PVC piping. While most marine specimens heal quickly on their own, Keep an eye on it for progressive healing and not getting sore(s).
Would not be bad to have seachem kanaplex on hand just in case needed.

OP
OP
saltwaterswiftie

saltwaterswiftie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a possible injury but cant confirm with the little room shown in pic. Assuming its under a tub, can have gotten injury from tub or PVC piping. While most marine specimens heal quickly on their own, Keep an eye on it for progressive healing and not getting sore(s).
Would not be bad to have seachem kanaplex on hand just in case needed.
He has been hiding under the side of the tub of sand I put in for the yellow coris so that is definitely possible. It is white and circular.

I currently have Melafix, Copper power, prazipro, and API General Cure. Would any of these work?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He has been hiding under the side of the tub of sand I put in for the yellow coris so that is definitely possible. It is white and circular.

I currently have Melafix, Copper power, prazipro, and API General Cure. Would any of these work?

IMO - the fish got handed a lot of stress with the shipping delay (their box time was probably 48 hours). This looks like it could just be a minor bump injury. I would give them 72 hours to sort of "settle in". Then, you should start a proactive quarantine:

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back