Carpenter wrasse lying on its side

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my tank is 15 gallons. No agression so far.
Thats aweful small for a flasher. They are constantly swimming. I would watch the clown with thr wrasse in such a small tank. You may have agression with out you realizing it. I swear fish are like kids behaving when your around misbehaving when we are not.
Prob not internal parasite being two months in your tank and still eating

OP
OP
freshwaterandmarine

freshwaterandmarine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats aweful small for a flasher. They are constantly swimming. I would watch the clown with thr wrasse in such a small tank. You may have agression with out you realizing it. I swear fish are like kids behaving when your around misbehaving when we are not.
Prob not internal parasite being two months in your tank and still eating
oh sorry I meant 20 gallons. the wrasse is quite small.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh sorry I meant 20 gallons
I'm not saying you can't its really small. Have you seen any tattered fins.
it running for food and getting to the bottom of the tank sounds like agression issues

PR_nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Monitor for aggression. I have a pink streaked wrasse that gets bully by a purple firefish especially near "his" cave. I seen the wrasse played dead and lay in his side on a few occasions. Recently got his right fin and tail bitten and laid on the sand for 2 straight days barely swimming. I had to place pellet on the sand bed for him to eat. He's back active swimming and picking at rocks and I moved some rocks around to reduce aggression. But I can tell he avoid swimming close to the firefish.

OP
OP
freshwaterandmarine

freshwaterandmarine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Monitor for aggression. I have a pink streaked wrasse that gets bully by a purple firefish especially near "his" cave. I seen the wrasse played dead and lay in his side on a few occasions. Recently got his right fin and tail bitten and laid on the sand for 2 straight days barely swimming. I had to place pellet on the sand bed for him to eat. He's back active swimming and picking at rocks and I moved some rocks around to reduce aggression. But I can tell he avoid swimming close to the firefish.
thanks I will.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks I will monitor for aggression
My suspect is the clown. They can become very territorial. In a small tank it can be even worse. Quick swimming up grabbing food and hitting thr deck is a sign of agression

OP
OP
freshwaterandmarine

freshwaterandmarine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when I turn on the tank lights the carpenter wrasse no longer is lying on his side and swims to the top of the tank but after awhile he goes back to lying on his side.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure when you watch the wrasse, that you do it from a darkened room, so the fish don't see you and change their behavior. As mentioned, this species doesn't need sand to sleep in, but they don't do really well in glass bottom tanks, so a dusting of sand, like you have helps block the reflections.

There is an issue with these wrasses, I've seen about 6 cases now - newish wrasse, still feeding, but lays on the bottom, sometimes on its side or even upside down. Normally, when a fish stops swimming normally, they also stop feeding, but in these cases, that doesn't happen. I do not know what causes this though. Since it is still feeding, one option might be to feed it General Cure in some Focus to get the meds internally, but that's just a guess.

Jay

OP
OP
freshwaterandmarine

freshwaterandmarine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure when you watch the wrasse, that you do it from a darkened room, so the fish don't see you and change their behavior. As mentioned, this species doesn't need sand to sleep in, but they don't do really well in glass bottom tanks, so a dusting of sand, like you have helps block the reflections.

There is an issue with these wrasses, I've seen about 6 cases now - newish wrasse, still feeding, but lays on the bottom, sometimes on its side or even upside down. Normally, when a fish stops swimming normally, they also stop feeding, but in these cases, that doesn't happen. I do not know what causes this though. Since it is still feeding, one option might be to feed it General Cure in some Focus to get the meds internally, but that's just a guess.

Jay
Thanks for replying. It is still the same so far. It still eats but it is still on its side.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back