Carpet anemone dying?

courtneyTANG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are very new to the hobby. Purchased a house in august that came with a 180 gal 10 year old tank with a few fish and live rock. We have had the old homeowner and two LFS owners come and teach us how to care for tank. Anyway I still think we are doing something wrong. We have tried to add many things. Most of which die. We keep asking questions and doing what the people tell us to do but we aren't having good luck as I feel our new green carpet anemone is dying. We got him about 2 weeks ago and after 2 days of having him in the tank he started acting weird. He will shrink completely up looks like his insides are coming out then get back to his original size and mouth almost closed, and do that over and over again usually taking a few hours to go between. About 3 days ago he detached and is just sitting on the sand moving all over the place and still doing the shrink up and get big again deal. & today he started smoking out of his mouth. So I separated him from everything else.

Is he dying? I've read everywhere that he will kill everything in the tank if he goes. HELP [emoji33]

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it brown smoke or white?
If white it may be a male...if you catch my drift.
If it's brown it's poo

OP
OP
C

courtneyTANG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it brown smoke or white?
If white it may be a male...if you catch my drift.
If it's brown it's poo

It was white smoke looked exactly like normal smoke. After all the odd behavior and him not being attached to anything I assume the worst.

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well when they're doing that they're really happy but him not being attached is worrisome

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 31.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back