Carpet Anemone Lovin, show off your Carpets!!!

dbraun15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is infected(look for tell tale sign of dreaded rat poop), it can be saved. Need to keep an eye on your Mertensii as the infection could spread. Run some carbon as it could be the Mertensii not playing nice(alleopathy). Pics always help.

OP
OP
Christopher Davis

Christopher Davis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is infected(look for tell tale sign of dreaded rat poop), it can be saved. Need to keep an eye on your Mertensii as the infection could spread. Run some carbon as it could be the Mertensii not playing nice(alleopathy). Pics always help.

I didn't think of that! Mertensii is happy as a clam so maybe that's an angle to approach. I will get some carbon going asap. And the dreaded rat poop? Never heard that haha

OP
OP
Christopher Davis

Christopher Davis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a picture of the sick one, as you can see everything else looks fantastic. I am running carbon now.

IMG_6168.JPG

IMG_6169.JPG

chicklets

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loooove my carpet anemone, Everyone warns me about it and looks shocked when I say that I have one. But he hasn't bothered anything except one Firefish that i watched rub up against it and get stung 10 times - the coral banded ended up eating him when he was in rough shape.
Tried feeding the frozen whole shrimp and he wouldnt take it. LOVES silversides. I cut them in half and let them defrost fully and he gobbles them right up.

My clowns WILL NOT host with it!!! They go up and bite his mouth, but its been like 6 weeks and they have yet to actually host it. Any suggestions on this? 20170122_211431.jpg Nem2 copy.jpg

OP
OP
Christopher Davis

Christopher Davis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loooove my carpet anemone, Everyone warns me about it and looks shocked when I say that I have one. But he hasn't bothered anything except one Firefish that i watched rub up against it and get stung 10 times - the coral banded ended up eating him when he was in rough shape.
Tried feeding the frozen whole shrimp and he wouldnt take it. LOVES silversides. I cut them in half and let them defrost fully and he gobbles them right up.

My clowns WILL NOT host with it!!! They go up and bite his mouth, but its been like 6 weeks and they have yet to actually host it. Any suggestions on this? 20170122_211431.jpg Nem2 copy.jpg
Mine took a long time to generally host and take interest in anything! The only think you can do is be patient, with them bitting at his mouth hosting is coming. I took a nap and out of the blue one day bam both were hosting!

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Juvenile clowns take time. Mine took 6-7 months till they got the nem bug.

lauderdalestunner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS had one today similar color but more of a tennis ball color. Thinking about adding it to my tank never had a carpet nem. Just lost my bubble tip to the abuse from a porcelain crab. I couldn't decide which I like more the crab or anemone and I ended up losing both of them.

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS had one today similar color but more of a tennis ball color. Thinking about adding it to my tank never had a carpet nem. Just lost my bubble tip to the abuse from a porcelain crab. I couldn't decide which I like more the crab or anemone and I ended up losing both of them.

Wow that sucks! As they're mostly photosynthetic they need good lighting, but they're also fairly sensitive to any rapid changes in water chemistry. Also people tend to think of them as more plants than animal, but they're most def animals. You can't plant them. Gotta just let them pick their own spot. They'll float around till they're happy [emoji4] also people over feed them.
They're really cool animals, especially when hosting clowns! I grew up with my fathers huge reef tank and he had a carpet that was around 2-3ft in diameter. They're the reason I started reef keeping in the first place.
This one I got today was covered in sexy shrimp. I'd never seen that before. Took them a bit to remove them, but think a couple hitchhiked. Free shrimp!

OP
OP
Christopher Davis

Christopher Davis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol-feed that anemone often and it will grow bigger than your tank! Feed it very sparingly and you can keep it in there for a good while. Mine started out small too. They can grow very fast.
You should start a thread of your own and keep it updated. Not many people have them.

Looks like feeding is working out!

IMG_7009.JPG

IMG_7008.JPG

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 26 16.6%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 65 41.4%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 22 14.0%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 35 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 5.7%
Back