Carpet anemone

RyanCSGO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello

I just recently purchased a white carpet anemone which is already hosting my pair of clowns. It detached itself from the Rock and is laying over on its side and has been all day. Should I just leave it and let it do its thing?

OP
OP
RyanCSGO

RyanCSGO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picture is rough since the lights are off. Hopefully this helps. Sorta.

image.jpeg

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's white, it's bleached. Not natural.

As far as the nem, he may need to get acclimated a few days. You might want to consider a water change if you suspect your water is a little off.

Snoopeeyy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With anemones in general, they go where they please. I have a carpet anemone and 2 rainbow bubble tip anemones and they find a spot the like in the rock work of your tank and settle in. If the get upset or are about to split, they will go in hiding for a few days-weeks.

OP
OP
RyanCSGO

RyanCSGO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
whitecarpet.jpg

This is what he looks like in normal lighting. (this is not my nem, just an example of his color)
water perams are:
KH 10
cal 460-480
phos 0.25 or less
nitrate 5ppm

will do a water change today after work. i know i need to get the phos and nitrates down for sure

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The color variation does not look too far off, there is a wide variation. Hard to make judge though based on the fact that the image is not your anemone.

Stichodactyla haddoni can takes weeks to acclimate. They prefer a finer grain substrate. In the wild they foot in fine sand bed. Mine moved frequently initially but was able to attach to the substrate in between moving. An anemone that is not attaching is an issue and it signals an issue that if not correct will most likely lead to a poor outcome.

Heads up a floating anemone has a higher probability of floating into power heads, over flows and get wedged in by a heater.

OP
OP
RyanCSGO

RyanCSGO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
appreciate the info.
my concern is that I'm not sure what to do besides water changes to help even out some parameters that are off.

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What lights do you have?
What size tank?
What lights was it under?

Are you acclimating it to your lights?

OP
OP
RyanCSGO

RyanCSGO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it was under the same type of LED at the LFS. only addition is a second light strip of blue only LEDs

tank is a 60g 48 x 13 x 24
acclimating how? currently the lights run 6.5 hours a day, with blues only on at night.

SLR48
SPECS
  • Fixture Length: 48"
  • Adjustable Lengths: 45"-51"
  • Total Output: 39W
  • Produces the Shimmer of Natural Daylight
  • Fully Adjustable Leg Mounts
  • Quiet, Cool and Fanless
  • 10K & Actinic Blend

OP
OP
RyanCSGO

RyanCSGO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
second light that ive been using as blues only is this
Lifegard Aquatics High Output Ultra-Slim Blue/White LED Light - 48 Inch

• Length: 48" - 54"
  • Width: 3.38"
  • Height" 0.65"
  • White LED`s: 120
  • Blue LED`s: 60
  • Color Temperature: 14000K
  • Lumens: 2640

OP
OP
RyanCSGO

RyanCSGO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i stopped by the house on my lunch.
this is how he is looking now.
nem1.JPG
nem2.JPG

nex64

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had mine for about two years now, as for advice goes... I'd just make sure it's accepting food and stays sticky to the touch. My carpet has quite a voracious appetite so maybe he's just looking for food lol

image.jpeg

corky1966

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello

I just recently purchased a white carpet anemone which is already hosting my pair of clowns. It detached itself from the Rock and is laying over on its side and has been all day. Should I just leave it and let it do its thing?
hello

I just threw out my green carpet just ate to many fish!

OP
OP
RyanCSGO

RyanCSGO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've wanted a carpet since I first got the clowns. Finally came across this one :) it's about 14iches or so when fully laid out. Not bad for a 50$ purchase. As long as it's happy and healthy I'll gladly finish the tank based around it.
I'm going to give it a while before I try feeding it. Only been in the tank for about 48 hours. Definitely looks a ton better than yesterday

Jbryan243

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my haddoni for almost eight years and although your color looks a little "white" the overall animal looks healthy. Feed small but frequent amounts,I feed a piece of shrimp about an inch every week and this seems to keep it "happy", I know because it smiles at me. I have no clue if it's happy or not, it's just alive and growing.

OP
OP
RyanCSGO

RyanCSGO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my haddoni for almost eight years and although your color looks a little "white" the overall animal looks healthy. Feed small but frequent amounts,I feed a piece of shrimp about an inch every week and this seems to keep it "happy", I know because it smiles at me. I have no clue if it's happy or not, it's just alive and growing.
Thanks, is the "white" not normal? this was how it looked at the LFS, clearly I should have done more research before the purchase. he seems to be showing his intestines a little when the lights are off, but looks completely normal once the lights are back on :/
really hope I didn't buy the poor thing just to wind up killing it

Jbryan243

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, is the "white" not normal? this was how it looked at the LFS, clearly I should have done more research before the purchase. he seems to be showing his intestines a little when the lights are off, but looks completely normal once the lights are back on :/
really hope I didn't buy the poor thing just to wind up killing it
White isn't normal but I've seen a gray (ish)/green haddoni's that seem healthy. Will yours take food and or the tentacles sticky? Be careful if you touch the animal not to harm it further if is sticky, don't pull back too fast. It should stick to the tip of your finger.

OP
OP
RyanCSGO

RyanCSGO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
White isn't normal but I've seen a gray (ish)/green haddoni's that seem healthy. Will yours take food and or the tentacles sticky? Be careful if you touch the animal not to harm it further if is sticky, don't pull back too fast. It should stick to the tip of your finger.
I tried to feed it yesterday, shrimp would stick for a second then release. shortly after I read somewhere on here that people were saying not to feed him for a while when he is first introduced into the tank. he's been in the tank since Sunday afternoon

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 68 67.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.0%
Back