Carpet anemone

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, give the anemone some time to acclimate before feeding. Although your anemone looks to be reaching somewhat (for light) so I'll let others that have kept them under similar fixture address that. I kept mine under MH and another under LED Hydra without issue.

OP
OP
RyanCSGO

RyanCSGO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, give the anemone some time to acclimate before feeding. Although your anemone looks to be reaching somewhat (for light) so I'll let others that have kept them under similar fixture address that. I kept mine under MH and another under LED Hydra without issue.
I have two LED lights (48inch each) 1 running whites and blues and one blues only. if it needs more light, I do have the ability to run both whites. but I don't know how that might affect the corals in the tank, and im sure my mild cyano and GHA would love it lol.

Jbryan243

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're tough guys, I'm not kidding about the heater or the vortech. Mine twice has gotten it's foot chewed on and wrapped around the heater once and survived just fine, although it wasn't pretty. Do as Tahoe says for now and wait it out

Jbryan243

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What ticks me off is LFS's selling animals that may be on the border line of death and they know it. Hopefully this isn't the case.

OP
OP
RyanCSGO

RyanCSGO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agreed. I have two lfs that I go to regularly. one is more of a "high end" type here he has person items in the store for display and doesn't have a huge selection, the other is more of the generic type with EVERYTHING being for sale. he's never steered me wrong and all his tanks look great. however, I am new to the hobby and may not notice things that others would. hopefully this isn't the start of a downward spiral and things turn around soon :)

Jbryan243

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agreed. I have two lfs that I go to regularly. one is more of a "high end" type here he has person items in the store for display and doesn't have a huge selection, the other is more of the generic type with EVERYTHING being for sale. he's never steered me wrong and all his tanks look great. however, I am new to the hobby and may not notice things that others would. hopefully this isn't the start of a downward spiral and things turn around soon :)
No worries, we all learn the hard way and the internet sometimes leads us in the wrong direction but in the end it's rewarding even when we screw it up a little. Think about it, we can grow corals faster then science says is possible? Go grow your own Great Barrier Reef!

OP
OP
RyanCSGO

RyanCSGO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well unfortunately the carpet has passed on. it tried to hang on but didn't work out.
going to let the dust settle for a while in the tank, probably re do some of the aqua scape soon. Coralline has started to grow water parameters are looking better and better. sucks though man, really really love those carpets.

Akida17th

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your carpet looks to be trying to go higher up on the rocks, a trait of gigantea species. He looks fairly bleached, spotty like most gigs. If you see spots under it's disc, then you know it's a gigantea and most likely will die unless you know what you're doing (sorry for being so blunt). These are very difficult anemones only should be cared for by anemone experts or at least experienced reefers. It probably needs to be treated with cipro like most gigs. Good luck and I hope I'm wrong.

Akida17th

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh guess I should of read your last post, as expected it died. Sorry for the loss but carpets are not easy to keep especially gigs.

PS446

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your anemone looks like a Gigantea and they need to be treated in quarantine otherwise they won't live. Sorry about the animal passing on. They do look really cool once fully acclimated.

PS446

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a Magnificent Anemone I got on Sunday and I am hoping I don't have to treat in quarantine. Got him for $40.
tmp_19536-20160426_1844281545910504.jpg

Darryl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
he looks ok just keep an eye on him they will move around where THEY want to go and finally settle in

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 76 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.3%
Back