CaRX pump

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No experience with that one, but at that price, I hope it's reliable! This seems like a lot more than you should be needing. I'm sure you can find some more than adequate options for far less investment.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kangaroo 224 & 324 is an older pump, but VERY reliable - you could check eBay for one. They make newer ones that are also hospital/surgery grade, but they are more expensive than the Masterflex below. 224 & 324 was all the rage in the 1990s and 2000s. There are threads out there about making them work for a reef.

Masterflex is the current reasonably priced model that people like.

I have never heard of that pump before you posted it, but it looks promising.

There are still a ton of people who use a Tee off of the mainline, or a small pump like a MaxiJet or QuietOne.

Edit: added 224 as a Kangaroo model.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Z

zed102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I will take a look at those. I was interested in the cole parmer because I have found them new for about $250. I was hoping some folks had some experience with them.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I will take a look at those. I was interested in the cole parmer because I have found them new for about $250. I was hoping some folks had some experience with them.

The pump you provided in your link is a fixed speed Stenner peristaltic pump. I’ve seen people use the dual head version of that pump to perform AWCs. For CaRx use, you want to be looking at the variable speed Masterflex or Watson Marlow peristaltic pumps.

Wrasse-cal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Why variable speed? Wouldn’t I want the effluent to be at a constant rate?

Wrasse-cal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Why variable speed? Wouldn’t I want the effluent to be at a constant rate?

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are several different methods of running a CaRx. You can use the constant drip, variable pH method. In this method, you don’t necessarily need a peristaltic pump as you can use an MJ1200 or a manifold off of your return.

Or you can go with the more traditional method of keeping your reactor pH between 6.5 - 6.7 and dialing in the appropriate effluent drip rate for your tank’s consumption needs. In using this method IMO, a variable speed peristaltic pump like a Masterflex or Watson Marlow is invaluable to maintain a consistent drip rate without the annoyance of having the effluent line clogging every few weeks (especially at the slower drip rates).

Wrasse-cal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are several different methods of running a CaRx. You can use the constant drip, variable pH method. In this method, you don’t necessarily need a peristaltic pump as you can use an MJ1200 or a manifold off of your return.

Or you can go with the more traditional method of keeping your reactor pH between 6.5 - 6.7 and dialing in the appropriate effluent drip rate for your tank’s consumption needs. In using this method IMO, a variable speed peristaltic pump like a Masterflex or Watson Marlow is invaluable to maintain a consistent drip rate without the annoyance of having the effluent line clogging every few weeks (especially at the slower drip rates).

I was planning on using the constant drip, variable ph method. Sounds like the manifold would be the cheaper (and equally good?) option.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While that Stenner pump is industrial duty and very reliable, it is also very loud. If you do go with a manifold feed like in the video, make sure you have sufficient flow from the effluent line to avoid clogging.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While that Stenner pump is industrial duty and very reliable, it is also very loud. If you do go with a manifold feed like in the video, make sure you have sufficient flow from the effluent line to avoid clogging.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 7 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 79 79.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.0%
Back