Cat pee smell

WhiskeyCoffee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just moved into a new house and in the process did a 10 gallon water change in my 40g tank. Since moving in to my new house my tank has taken on a cat pee smell. Is this from stirring up the sand bed while moving the tank or what? It's not a rotten eggs smell, just a musty/urine smell... all fish are swimming happily and all corals are open.

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just moved into a new house and in the process did a 10 gallon water change in my 40g tank. Since moving in to my new house my tank has taken on a cat pee smell. Is this from stirring up the sand bed while moving the tank or what? It's not a rotten eggs smell, just a musty/urine smell... all fish are swimming happily and all corals are open.

Are you sure it's your tank water? Cat pee smell would indicate ammonia.

OP
OP
WhiskeyCoffee

WhiskeyCoffee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure it's your tank water? Cat pee smell would indicate ammonia.

Yes. Well, maybe it's the rim of the tank? I could smell closer lol. I have been searching all over the house trying to figure out if there were pet odors from the previous owner until my wife smelled my tank and discovered the source. It's a very musty smell. This is the first time I've smelled this and the tank has been running for over a year.

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
486308ffad086ee606aa5bfa7d54d055.gif

cjd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
weird?? I would do a small water change and leave a bucket of the old water away from the tank . When your nose clears of the smell you and the wife take a whiff of the old water in the bucket to see if its the actual water that smells. If the previous owners had a cat that marked the location where you placed the tank , any dampness from water could cause the smell from under the hard wood floors to be noticeable.

OP
OP
WhiskeyCoffee

WhiskeyCoffee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't say i've ever smelled that (in my tank) but since you did just move the tank I'd say run some carbon and change it every few days until the smell subsides.

I might do that. How can I run carbon, just put some in an old HOB or can I put it in my sump? I just spent buku bucks on moving so I'm trying to keep other costs down haha.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mesh bag in the sump will work. YOu can get them at petco for cheap. Place in the path of the inlet water.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OH yeah. Also make sure your protein skimmer is working and pulling out stuff.

Ghxst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made a WC once and let the water sit way too long, over a week, and when I opened the lid smelled like pee. I think you have some ammonia, I would test and do a WC regardless.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might do that. How can I run carbon, just put some in an old HOB or can I put it in my sump? I just spent buku bucks on moving so I'm trying to keep other costs down haha.
Yea. Jus place the bag so it gets the best possible flow throug the bag.

I've never heard of this btw.

Philt56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made a WC once and let the water sit way too long, over a week, and when I opened the lid smelled like pee. I think you have some ammonia, I would test and do a WC regardless.
What water was sitting? The new replacement water or what you took out? You should prob keep an airstone in the new water if it will be sitting.
What kind of container?

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely test...

I have noticed this phenomenon in my mixing station sometimes. Since there is no filtration (just a tub with salt water), and some sort of contaminate gets in there (no idea how, it is a covered bin)... Mixing up your tank could (by could I mean very likely) have kicked some dead particulate into the water and now the bacteria is eating it up...

Please report back with the test results, I am sure lots of us are curious!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 9 18.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 29 59.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.1%
Back