Catching a crab: Would appreciate Suggestions!

  • Thread starter Thread starter SaltyGal
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

SaltyGal

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 9, 2011
Messages
23
Reaction score
1
Location
New Jersey
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 54gal corner reef that has been established 4 years. I just found what I believe is the problem of why my corals are being knocked around (the ones near the bottom) I found a fairly large crab. He has black pinchers, so based on what I have tried to read up on I am suspecting he is a gorilla crab??? Are there other crabs that are a brownish color with black pinchers that are of another type? Even so, he is large - about 2 inches that I can see. Too big to be roaming around no matter what he is.

I would appreciate any suggestions as to what one could do to get rid of this hitchhiker. If I do a major cleaning of my tank and remove the rock, which I have already done on my 10 gal nano for other reasons, I still managed to have an ammonia spike because it took time for me to aquascape the rock and so I got some die off obviously. I am not sure what to do for this size tank with this amount of rock some with sponge on it. Should I remove my coral and put in separate container while I remove the rock on a one by one basis - rinse and replace and hope I can get the little bugger? Not sure if that will help me in getting this guy either because I have a lot of rock and hiding places. How about traps? Anyone have a luck with them?

HELP!
 
Try putting some food in a stocking (pantyhose leg) with the opening propped open. The crab will hopefully go in and then won't be able to get out.
 
I found a crab a few weeks ago and set up mason jar crab trap baited with a bit of prawn.
I caught several hermit crabs and the mandarin goby before I finally caught the crab.



20151002_011553_zpsu61kock2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
 
all good suggestions^^. Good luck with your hunt. I had a pest crab(more than likely, gorilla) in my tank years ago. tried all the recommended traps and options, and they all "almost" worked. Then one day, with the lights going out, I saw him making evening rounds, off the rock. I knew that was my chance, I sneaked in there with a long pair of tweezers and pinned him down. Used another pair to grab him, and into the sump it went. Was a very satisfying moment
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 4.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new