Caterpillar like worm - what is it ?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Idech
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 21, 2021
Messages
4,808
Reaction score
4,027
Location
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took pictures but my phone wasn’t able to focus. Maybe my description will be enough.

Those white worms are different sizes ranging from 2-3 mm to 5-6 mm. They are thin and long, they « walk » fast enough for their size and they have many many legs on each side on their body and two little antennas on their head.

They are strutting their stuff on the front glass of my Evo 13.5 that is currently fallow and only has a few snails in it and corals.

What are those ?

Thank you
 
I took pictures but my phone wasn’t able to focus. Maybe my description will be enough.

Those white worms are different sizes ranging from 2-3 mm to 5-6 mm. They are thin and long, they « walk » fast enough for their size and they have many many legs on each side on their body and two little antennas on their head.

They are strutting their stuff on the front glass of my Evo 13.5 that is currently fallow and only has a few snails in it and corals.

What are those ?

Thank you
Even a blurry picture might be more help than none...

There are many different possibilities from your description, some more or less likely.
Amphipods are the first thing that came to my mind from your description, but they are not worms.
 
Even a blurry picture might be more help than none...

There are many different possibilities from your description, some more or less likely.
Amphipods are the first thing that came to my mind from your description, but they are not worms.
Here’s a video :

 
Last edited:
I see something similar at night in my tank. From the research I've done they're a species similar to bristle worms. I haven't done anything about them. They seem to be detridivores. I believe they're called Dorvilleidae

(Then again it's a bit blurry but thats a start)
 
I see something similar at night in my tank. From the research I've done they're a species similar to bristle worms. I haven't done anything about them. They seem to be detridivores. I believe they're called Dorvilleidae

(Then again it's a bit blurry but thats a start)
It does look like Dorvilleidae. I’ve seen another post with pictures and they are similar.

They’re fine then. I’ve been overfeeding probably since going fallow because my nassarius snail looks hungry.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 5 25.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 6 30.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new