Cats and Aquariums

mijan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My cat shows no interest in the tank. He does like to check out the sump. Whenever I got the cabinet open he will come over and poke his head in to take a look around.

jackalexander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking about getting a cat.. I have a screen top reef tank. I know all cats are different, but anyone have any bad experiences with a screen top and a cat? Just obviously don't want the cat clawing the screen to shreds to try for my fish.
Really depends on the cat, my cat will watch the fish next to her and most of the time just fall asleep but sometimes she wants to look down on the fish but never reaches for them. I have a powder brown that will swim to the top of the water to greet her and she doesn’t ever reach in.

Gino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have three cats at home and two of them once in a while purge in our dining table to watch the fishes passing by, but they don't stay long. My Tank doesn't have a cover and absolutely is in their reach but they don't care, mostly they went over to see if I had made any changes when I spend a lot of time working the tank.

But Gypsy the other cat it's another story, she love to supervise what ever I do with the tank, she's my little helper... buajajaja! She thinks it's her tank also...buajajaja!!!
One night a fish jump out, and she heard it, and started to cry and making weird sounds and when to the bedroom and wake me up. She make me follow her and there was the wrasse in the floor.
16076594494822014497842356818246.jpg
She safe his live and the guy still going strong.
All cats are different, but they are very smart and learn what are their boundaries and know what they can and can't do!!!

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking about getting a cat.. I have a screen top reef tank. I know all cats are different, but anyone have any bad experiences with a screen top and a cat? Just obviously don't want the cat clawing the screen to shreds to try for my fish.
All of my tanks have the lids off 90% of the time and i have 2 cats and 5 tanks. They watch and may drink water from the freshwater tanks, but ive never had problems. I could see problems with a pico tank maybe, since the fish are easier targets.

ReadySet-Flow

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got 3 cats that couldn’t care less. Had one more that also never even noticed the tank. And one of them I can sit on a stool in front of the tank and he’ll run away because it’s so boring.

One thing I have noticed is if I’ve got saltwater anywhere in my kitchen one of my cats will try to drink from it. So when I get coral shipments and I open them in the kitchen I have to make sure he’s not around. And a fun fact to end it off, cats can drink saltwater to quench their thirst, they are one of the only mammals with kidneys efficient enough to filter out the salt.

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our main coon is a inquisitive ******* that always manage to get himself in to trouble. I know for a fact that he took a dunk in the tank a year back or so (didn’t see it but the dried up salt spray gave him away). He sometimes would jump up and chill on the light fixture and I guess he must have misjudged his jump or something.
Can’t have been all that much fun since he has left the tank alone after that. Now he mostly just “helps” out when I’m doing maintenance.
8A3EA723-F695-4EC5-8A22-2617B0D5DB26.jpeg

And he recently started stalking deer. I guess managing to beat up the local fox wasn’t enough of a thrill....
53BCB252-1518-40D7-8133-33A9E565F7A2.jpeg

Nhjmc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got 3 cats that couldn’t care less. Had one more that also never even noticed the tank. And one of them I can sit on a stool in front of the tank and he’ll run away because it’s so boring.

One thing I have noticed is if I’ve got saltwater anywhere in my kitchen one of my cats will try to drink from it. So when I get coral shipments and I open them in the kitchen I have to make sure he’s not around. And a fun fact to end it off, cats can drink saltwater to quench their thirst, they are one of the only mammals with kidneys efficient enough to filter out the salt.
I've caught my cat doing the same......and drinking from toilet...gross!

Nhjmc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our main coon is a inquisitive ******* that always manage to get himself in to trouble. I know for a fact that he took a dunk in the tank a year back or so (didn’t see it but the dried up salt spray gave him away). He sometimes would jump up and chill on the light fixture and I guess he must have misjudged his jump or something.
Can’t have been all that much fun since he has left the tank alone after that. Now he mostly just “helps” out when I’m doing maintenance.
8A3EA723-F695-4EC5-8A22-2617B0D5DB26.jpeg

And he recently started stalking deer. I guess managing to beat up the local fox wasn’t enough of a thrill....
53BCB252-1518-40D7-8133-33A9E565F7A2.jpeg
saw the pic first before reading and was gonna ask if that was a coon cat. yep. very cool.

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a cat and my best advice is just don't get a cat. Mind you, this has nothing to do with having a reef tank... I just think you should avoid getting a cat. :0)

But really, my cat used to jump at the tank when he was younger. He was really fond of trying to catch my flame hawk. Now he's nearly 12 and doesn't seem to even notice the tank. There's essentially no way for him to get on top of it so that is a bonus.

mainereefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She is watching my mccullochi in his qt tank

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201216-133853_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20201216-133853_Messages.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 21

See Gee Sea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a pair of rambunctious tigers that pretty much leave it alone. One of them helps with the maintenance...or so he'd like to think!

1608156723010.png

TrudeMudeni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it depends mostly on ca’s breed and personality. Some cats are pure hunters and won’t live anything in the house alone. They may run at midnight and jump when they see a single fly to the ceiling. However, not all cats do that. Some cats are more gentle and even lazy. They may hunt a little because all they do is it, but it’s easier to train such cats and show them what’s wrong to do.
Moreover, there are methods to train your cat; you can find them on the Internet. I like learning new things about these beautiful pets; for example, can cats have french fries or not? This site has a lot of interesting information about cats.

Last edited:

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back