Caulerpa refugium - How often to remove excess macro algae?

CraigMixedReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings.

In my little glass world, natural selection has officially picked Caulerpa over Chaeto.

I now have a lovely thriving garden of caulerpa growing in my refugium.
Display tank is free of algae (at least the irritating kind one can see)

I'd like to know:
  1. How often I should be removing a few handfuls from the fuge?
  2. Am I helping to reduce nitrates and phosphates by removing excess (or any) macro algae?
  3. When I do remove excess macro, what % of the overall caulerpa garden should go?
I also don't like the fact that I am tossing out lots of the "bugs" that are living in the algae. Lots of displaced pods are not at all pleased with me.

Let me know what you think, please.

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  1. How often I should be removing a few handfuls from the fuge?
  2. Am I helping to reduce nitrates and phosphates by removing excess (or any) macro algae?
  3. When I do remove excess macro, what % of the overall caulerpa garden should go?
I don't know the answers to #1 and #3 - I have asked the same questions about chaeto.

I think the answer to #2 is yes - as algae grows, it consumes nitrate and phosphate, but will release it back into the tank if it dies. The only way to actually get it out of your tank is to harvest.

cristata.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Caulerpa is a very invasive plant so you should make sure you dispose of it properly. Take clippings and put it in a plastic bag. place bag in the freezer for 24 hours (the longer the better) then throw it away and make sure the bag is sealed. As for trimming I would clip anything that is beginning to turn pale/whitish as that is a key indicator of the algae about to "go sexual" and release spores and nutrients back into the tank. I would trim it enough so there is constant water flow between the runners of the algae so that the light can reach all parts and no nuisance algae can grow.

P.S. Just shake the pods off back into the refugium before disposing of the algae

OP
OP
CraigMixedReef

CraigMixedReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies.

Invasive species and their impact on the environment is definitely a concern to me, but I am curious to know how caulerpa could be a concern with where I live, in Madison, Wisconsin.

Is it capable of establishing in freshwater ponds, lakes or rivers?

Also - you recommend enough flow to avoid nuisance algae. I have green hair and some pink blossoms appearing - is that what you’re referring to? Is that due to flow or the low quality light I am using on the fuge?

Thanks - interesting conversation and I appreciate your feedback.

CJ

cristata.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies.

Invasive species and their impact on the environment is definitely a concern to me, but I am curious to know how caulerpa could be a concern with where I live, in Madison, Wisconsin.

Is it capable of establishing in freshwater ponds, lakes or rivers?

Also - you recommend enough flow to avoid nuisance algae. I have green hair and some pink blossoms appearing - is that what you’re referring to? Is that due to flow or the low quality light I am using on the fuge?

Thanks - interesting conversation and I appreciate your feedback.

CJ

Invasive species are very very resourceful. Theoretically if you don’t freeze the caulerpa it can still reproduce spores as soon as it hits another body of warm saltwater. Keep in mind that all storm drains pretty much lead directly into the ocean (more or less). Luckily for you it won’t live in freshwater but in Hawaii I have seen it spread in brackish environments. As for nuisance algae, I would personally remove the GHA and the “pink blossoms” (look up cotton candy algae and tell me if that’s what it is). Theoretically your caulerpa should outcompete the nuisance algae for nitrates. If you test and your phosphates are too high get some Ulva with your caulerpa. Also yea what kind of light are you using?

OP
OP
CraigMixedReef

CraigMixedReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings again.

I am currently using a HOB fuge - the CPR Aquatics AquaFuge2 w/ LED lighting. Purchased from BRS
My phosphates and nitrates run high - I've attributed that to the fact that the current tank is sump-less and I lean toward over-feeding.
I run a fuge and Reef Octo HOB protein skimmer.
I test all parameters frequently, using:
Hanna
NYOS
Red Sea
Salifert
Milwaukee

.20 Nitrate
pH 7.7 (low, but consistent over a year, and no desire to chase a higher number)
Alk - 9.0
Phopsphate 0.25
Calc 420 / Mag 1350 and Alk 9.0 are dosed
RO/DI source with zero TDS and zero Silicates.

As far as my pink algae, I'm pretty sure it's cotton candy, but it hasn't invaded the display tank (yet?).
I understand Cyano and the differences.
I have used Chemi-clean successfully to reduce / remove Cyano.

As an aside, after my 1 year anniversary of running a healthy and thriving 72 bow front mixed reef tank, I am in the process of upgrading to a 125, with overflows / sump 46g.
I will be setting up a fuge in the new set-up and will be using a Kessil Tuna.
I will also probably start with a fresh batch of Chaeto, as I don't want the caulerpa / cotton candy and GHA in the new world.

Interested in your thoughts, based on what I've provided.

CJ

Will Milberger

Aggie Aquarist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Debating on stuff for my fuge... just wanting to see how yours is set up. I am down to plumbing, substrate, and aquascaping left to do.

OP
OP
CraigMixedReef

CraigMixedReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will,

I assume you're talking about the new 125 tank and not my current 72 with the HOB Fuge?
If so, my new tank is sitting dry - I picked it up last weekend and am in the planning stage.
Nothing good to show (yet)

CJ

OP
OP
CraigMixedReef

CraigMixedReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will - here you go.
Caulerpa.jpg

OP
OP
CraigMixedReef

CraigMixedReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m guessing cotton candy algae. I pick it out, when possible, but it’s difficult to separate from the caulerpa. My Tang’s will graze on it...

It started as chaeto
Caulerpa took over
Now cotton candy (I think) is enjoying some space.

I’ve let the fuge do it’s thing and I’ve actually enjoyed watching the different phases emerge.

CJ

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 85 48.6%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 30.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.9%
Back