Cause of Death Analysis

Tarun21tp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,
I bought this Humbug Damsel and a Sailfin tang on 23 Jan and put them in my qt. I added Coppersafe gradually over 3 days and current Cu level measured with Hanna checker is 1.89 ppm.
Though the tang is healthy and eating, this damsel had stopped eating around 30th Jan onwards. Suspecting flukes I added API general cure on 2nd Feb with Coppersafe already present since 23 Jan. Still the damsel did not eat and yesterday I added kanaplex. It did not eat post that also.
Today morning I found the damsel dead and I feel his gills are inflammed.
What could be the reason? The tang is healthy and still in qt.
Regards
Tarun

IMG_20230206_155737.jpg IMG_20230206_155804.jpg

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,
I bought this Humbug Damsel and a Sailfin tang on 23 Jan and put them in my qt. I added Coppersafe gradually over 3 days and current Cu level measured with Hanna checker is 1.89 ppm.
Though the tang is healthy and eating, this damsel had stopped eating around 30th Jan onwards. Suspecting flukes I added API general cure on 2nd Feb with Coppersafe already present since 23 Jan. Still the damsel did not eat and yesterday I added kanaplex. It did not eat post that also.
Today morning I found the damsel dead and I feel his gills are inflammed.
What could be the reason? The tang is healthy and still in qt.
Regards
Tarun

IMG_20230206_155737.jpg IMG_20230206_155804.jpg
Diagnosis out of water after the fish has succumbed is very difficult. That said, I have a few questions.

First, I'm glad to see you had these two fish in QT. However, the dosage you had reached was not adequate to control either ich or velvet. Our recommended target is a concentration of 2.5 ppm achieved in twenty-four hours. Lower concentrations will not kill the targeted parasites. Which copper test kit are you using?

Other than not eating, what abnormal behavior or physical conditions did you observe on the damsel that led you to suspect flukes? Was the fish flashing, yawning, swimming near the surface or doing anything else that caught your attention?

I would not expect flukes to cause rapid death unless the infections was extremely severe with other behavioral abnormalities.

Did you observe any signs of injury that may have resulted from aggression by the tang?

While General Cure contains powdered praziquantel, we typically suggest the liquid form since the powder can be difficult to dissolve completely and to insure the concentration is adequate.

What led you to treat with kanaplex?

Glad the tang still appears healthy. As I'm sure you know, damsels are usually very hardy fish. While starvation is possible, the problem is how to determine the underlying cause.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you also post your water quality information? Damsels are hardier than tangs are in regards to poor water quality, so I would expect them to survive better than a tang, but it still might be good to know that information.

Jay

OP
OP
T

Tarun21tp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using the Hanna HR checker to monitor Cu. Salinity is 28 ppt. 2-3 days before dying the fish was whirling around as if it had a swim bladder issue. It was not able to maintain its buoyancy. So I added Kanaplex to treat any bacterial infection in the swim bladder.Tank temperature is 26 degrees Celsius.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using the Hanna HR checker to monitor Cu. Salinity is 28 ppt. 2-3 days before dying the fish was whirling around as if it had a swim bladder issue. It was not able to maintain its buoyancy. So I added Kanaplex to treat any bacterial infection in the swim bladder.Tank temperature is 26 degrees Celsius.
When you say it couldn’t maintain its buoyancy - was it floating or sinking?

Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It used to sink and then lay on the side at the bottom of the tank.
All fish are slightly negatively buoyant, so a dying fish will naturally sink and it isn’t always a sign of swim bladder problems.

Sometimes, fish have issues that are not contagious, assuming the tang is still doing well, that may be the cases here.

Jay

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 172 72.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 42 17.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.1%
Back