Cause of nipped fin?

Roman'sReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i’ve had my Banggai Cardinals for two weeks now and I added a royal gramma last week. The royal grandma likes to hang out exactly where the cardinal used to be but now the Banggai Cardinals is at the back of the tank. I often find the royal gramma going up to the banggai and he seems a bit uneasy. He appears to have a nipped fin

OP
OP
R

Roman'sReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i was planning on adding a mckoskers wrasse in couple weeks but dk if it will be able to deal with the aggression

OP
OP
R

Roman'sReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's probably from the royal gramma, yes. What size is your tank? Does the royal gramma have a "lair" where he mainly hangs out? Do you have any suitable caves that he could use as a lair?
red sea reefer 350
image.jpg

For the longest time the bangai hanged out on the right in the caves there but now hes all the way on the right at the back and the royal gramma is where the bangai used to be

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would look at adding some more marco rock to create some more caves/hiding spots for your fish. It sounds like they both want that spot - but the royal gramma really wants it more and is prepared to defend his territory (my guess is he's "claimed" that cave and defending it against the banggai).

OP
OP
R

Roman'sReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would look at adding some more marco rock to create some more caves/hiding spots for your fish. It sounds like they both want that spot - but the royal gramma really wants it more and is prepared to defend his territory (my guess is he's "claimed" that cave and defending it against the banggai).
Ok imma move the rock infront of the caves since that all i can do for now…
Two questions in the longrun if the bangai cardinal doesnt go back will he be fine?
and could i add some type of wrasse such as a mckoskers flasher wrasse?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
will the royal gramma work with a mckoskers flasher wrasse?
I've had both in a tank together without issue. I think the issue is probably not the size of the tank but the rock work. This is the rock scape for my Red Sea 750 to give you a few ideas. At any given time 40 some odd fish are hiding amongst it.

theabyss-fts3.jpg

OP
OP
R

Roman'sReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had both in a tank together without issue. I think the issue is probably not the size of the tank but the rock work. This is the rock scape for my Red Sea 750 to give you a few ideas. At any given time 40 some odd fish are hiding amongst it.

theabyss-fts3.jpg
Okok ive got some spare rock so imma see what i can do

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 101 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.8%
Back