Aggressive Royal gramma

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Royal Grammas have both been jerks. I won't keep them anymore. My one pair of clownfish were homicidal maniacs. I won't ever keep either again.

Caveat that these were in smaller tanks, 32 gallons and 25 gallons.

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes Royal Grammas get confused with the more aggressive Royal Dottybacks just in case

Does OP have a picture of said fish?

I still find it amazing and hard to believe that a Royal Gramma is being aggressive. I've never seen or heard of that. My Royal Gramma is the most peaceful fish ever...he never bothers anyone, and nobody bothers him...except the Coral Beauty, only when he tries to enter his cave, but even them, it's just a nudge to get him going elsewhere

Cincyreefer513

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does OP have a picture of said fish?

I still find it amazing and hard to believe that a Royal Gramma is being aggressive. I've never seen or heard of that. My Royal Gramma is the most peaceful fish ever...he never bothers anyone, and nobody bothers him...except the Coral Beauty, only when he tries to enter his cave, but even them, it's just a nudge to get him going elsewhere

Believe it. These fish can be real jerks. I've talked to several people with similar experiences. Yes, royal dottybacks have a bad reputation, but royal grammas can be bad too. Here is mine. This was taken over a year ago and he's worse now (just over 2yrs old).

IMG_20230122_122555417.jpg

crabgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one that was the first fish in my tank. He would boss my clowns around but never did anything bad. After putting him into a larger tank he hid about 95% of the time. I recently added a foxface and wrasse and now he is super active getting food and bossing people around. Mine seems to be all bark and no bite, but their behaviors are interesting

beckerj3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i wonder if the majority are peaceful - as per the description generally attached to them. There are definiitely some agressive ones out there though. Maybe only the people that have had an agressive one are the people that comment on them. it would be interesting to sample 100 random people that have a royal gramma and see how many are agressive vs peaceful. My tank has been up for 20 years. One of the 1st fish I got was a royal gramma. It was peaceful. But not this one.

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i wonder if the majority are peaceful - as per the description generally attached to them. There are definiitely some agressive ones out there though. Maybe only the people that have had an agressive one are the people that comment on them. it would be interesting to sample 100 random people that have a royal gramma and see how many are agressive vs peaceful. My tank has been up for 20 years. One of the 1st fish I got was a royal gramma. It was peaceful. But not this one.
Great idea! I started a Poll.
Royal Gramma disposition

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 88 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back