Aggressive Royal gramma

Jeanette

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an aggressive royal gramma in my 75 gallon tank. I got it as an adult from a friend a couple years ago. 3-6 months ago I added a mckosker wrasse (quarantened for 3 weeks and it was doing well) I acclimated it for a day in a specimen box, and had no issues. I released it late in the afternoon. It seemed like it was doing fine, just a bit skittish and hung out in the lower corner of the tank. Next day, I couldn't find it but looking closer in the afternoon, I found small bits of its skeleton remains. Other fish in the tank are 2 clownfish, 2 cardinal fish, and a yellow tang. So, I'm sure its the royal gramma.

I now have a coral beauty angel and a carpenter wrasse that have been qt'd for over a month, that I would like to add to the tank. I'd like to remove the royal gramma temporarily (or permanently) to add these other 2 fish. But I don't think I can catch it. Any suggestions on catching it???

Do you think think that the coral beauty would be ok to add with the royal gramma since its enough different in body shape?? I think the carpenter wrasse would be dead meat with the royal gramma. Or would adding both fish at the same time be enough distraction for the royal gramma that the wrasse would be ok?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you seen any aggression from the gramma, it’s hard to imagine it being an aggressor in any situation, especially with 2 clowns and a tang in the tank.
That said, a coral beauty should have no issues with a gramma and as mentioned will likely be the one pushing it around.

litsoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My gramma occasionally flares up and will chase around my McCosker's a little bit, but the wrasse holds its own and flashes back for the most part. He's mostly kept in check by my flame angel and mainly keeps to his area of the tank, so I don't think your coral beauty will have any problems.

OP
OP
J

Jeanette

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I think it is the royal gramma because: my clowns never leave the hammer that they host in. So while the clowns might harass it a bit, the wrasse could easily have gotten away. Same with the cardinal fish.... And the size of tang is such that the wrasse would be able to easily tuck into a hiding spot.

SO it makes sense to me that I should be able to put the royal beauty in the tank w/o much issue.

Not sure then what to do about the carpenter wrasse. It's 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 inches long. The royal gramma is at least 2 1/2 inches long. Would it be better to put the carpenter wrasse in at the same time as the coral beauty - and hope that aggression from the royal gramma is split between 2 fish??

Cincyreefer513

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My RG is very aggressive as well and doesn't like new additions. This is in a 32 Flex. He's ok with the clowns, but that's it (they were added 2 months after the RG when everything was still small). I added a McCosker wrasse and he got beat up a lot so I ended up tearing the tank apart to catch him, place in qt box for 6 weeks, and then released him back. He was fine after, but the wrasse died 6 months later during a move. I replaced it with a line spot wrasse and had to do the same thing.
I added a purple firefish last month and his fins were torn to shreds within 2 days so back to taking the rockwork apart to catch the stupid thing. He was in the box for a week and managed to jump through the 1/4" gap between the top of the box and the aquarium net lid. No idea how he managed that, but he did. It was constant chasing the firefish to the upper corner almost ever since. The past few days have been a little better, but the RG definitely doesn't like him.
So yes, they can be extremely aggressive. If I had a dollar for how many snails he's taken out... Good luck

danenelsen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t add the other fish until the Gramma is gone. A while back, my Gramma killed a Foxface…As to catching it, I’ve heard great things about the Nyos Floating Fish Trap, but I haven’t used it personally.

OP
OP
J

Jeanette

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t add the other fish until the Gramma is gone. A while back, my Gramma killed a Foxface…As to catching it, I’ve heard great things about the Nyos Floating Fish Trap, but I haven’t used it personally.
Thants for the fish trap recommendation. I might have to give it a try. Expensive, but easily cheaper than replacing a fish that gets beat up by the royal gramma.

danenelsen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thants for the fish trap recommendation. I might have to give it a try. Expensive, but easily cheaper than replacing a fish that gets beat up by the royal gramma.
Agreed! For a cheaper trap option, I’ve also heard of people cutting the top off a water bottle, inverting it, and gluing it together. It might be worth a shot. Just Google DIY fish trap or I’m sure others might be able to help you with this too!

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My royal gramma recently killed an emerald crab and a peppermint shrimp the day after they were added. I have a pair of clowns and they hold their own against the gramma as a team but when I tore my tank down to move the gramma was a pain to catch. I suggest a fish trap. I wouldn't have caught it if it wasn't for the tearing the tank down anyways. Now I want to add more fish and inverts and I'm in the same boat as you. My gramma hid for nearly 2 years and was skittish. She is now very bold and a pain but everyone in my house likes her the best so she can't go.

slogan315

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My Royal gramma is the boss of my 60g. It also almost bullied my Mccoskers to death so moved the wrasse to another tank. And now keeps my clowns confined to the top corner of the tank. It often picks up snails and moves them around for fun. This guy needs to go soon. Very pretty though.

OP
OP
J

Jeanette

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed! For a cheaper trap option, I’ve also heard of people cutting the top off a water bottle, inverting it, and gluing it together. It might be worth a shot. Just Google DIY fish trap or I’m sure others might be able to help you with this too!
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll google DIY fish trap. I was all set to pull the trigger on the NYOS floating fish trap, but after looking closer at the dimensions, it won't work. My tank is a 75g and its very full. The dimensions of that trap are 6x6x7.7. It wouldn't work. I've been looking at the ice cap small fish trap. That is only 3x3 x 6. Dimensions would work better, and the royal gramma is overall not a large fish, although this one is at least 2 1/2" in length.

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never seen aggression from my royal gramma in over two years it has been in my tank, one of the most peaceful. I’m surprised that some have experienced the opposite.
Mine was good for 2 years. Afterwards it has become aggressive. I bought it in 2020 or 2021. It started becoming aggressive probably this past October. I thought the fish was a scaredy cat. I was wrong. It was just a tiger laying in wait. Haha.

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never seen aggression from my royal gramma in over two years it has been in my tank, one of the most peaceful. I’m surprised that some have experienced the opposite.
Same here...this is legit news to me that Royal Grammas can be mean...who knew??

Jon_901

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an aggressive RG that's hunting my new yellow watchman goby as well :(.

Screenshot_20240222-215825_Gallery.jpg

poor guy with a torn fin

Ajayabb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes Royal Grammas get confused with the more aggressive Royal Dottybacks just in case

OP
OP
J

Jeanette

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately its a pretty fish too. I'm going to try trapping him. Wish me luck!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 85 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.3%
Back