Compatability - Royal Gramma & halichoerses chrysus wrasse

mr.lordacan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
Would a royal gramma be compatible with a halichoerses chrysus yellow wrasse? I’ve found conflicting things online that seem to root from confusion between the mentioned wrasse and the coris wrasse?
Any help is appreciated!

Goby Bryant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, they aren’t. What size tank do you have, so I can give you recommendation?

coral reeftank

IG:crt_reefs
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have both in my tank and they don’t show any aggression. I added a 1 inch gramma as a baby to a tank where the yellow coris were already 4-5 inches. I was more worried of the wrasses gobbling the gramma at first. But if you were to add them at a similar size or apart from eachother the gramma might be aggressive to the wrasse. I’d add the wrasse before the gramma if any thing.

aggrofish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re gonna hear conflicting stories just like if you ask about a 6 line. My royal gamma is very peaceful, they tend to be shy. I also have a yellow watchman. That fish takes no crap from anyone if they get to close to his cave. Including the royal gamma. The gamma wedges itself into rock crevices at night.

OP
OP
mr.lordacan

mr.lordacan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, they aren’t. What size tank do you have, so I can give you recommendation?
I have both in my tank and they don’t show any aggression. I added a 1 inch gramma as a baby to a tank where the yellow coris were already 4-5 inches. I was more worried of the wrasses gobbling the gramma at first. But if you were to add them at a similar size or apart from eachother the gramma might be aggressive to the wrasse. I’d add the wrasse before the gramma if any thing.
40g breeder (although hoping to grab a ~90 or similar in a year). I’m the meantime, just planning to stock for the 40. I also have some softie/LPS corals.

I did add my wrasse about a month ago!

OP
OP
mr.lordacan

mr.lordacan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re gonna hear conflicting stories just like if you ask about a 6 line. My royal gamma is very peaceful, they tend to be shy. I also have a yellow watchman. That fish takes no crap from anyone if they get to close to his cave. Including the royal gamma
Yeah, every fish is different. Im just hoping to minimize and chances of aggression. Guess there’s only one way to find out lol

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d get a six line wrasse.
Absolutely not, in that size tank the sixline would be overwhelmingly aggressive. They’re nowhere near peaceful and with a wrasse already in there the sixline is most likely to be much worse.

If you look at the stories of good sixlines, then 9 times out of 10 you’ll be reading similar posts from the same people. The lined wrasses of the genus pseudocheilinus are really meant to be recommended for the most aggressive of tanks. And if housed with other wrasses then, personally I feel these wrasses should be housed with other wrasses around the same aggression levels.

For the OP, the yellow “coris” wrasse (Not a true coris as true coris wrasses come from the genus Coris) will most likely outgrow the tank so you’ll need Atleast a 3’ if not 4’ tank. They should get along with the royal gramma as they’re of different families and body shapes. As you have the wrasse established you could get away with the gramma as it is.

OP
OP
mr.lordacan

mr.lordacan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely not, in that size tank the sixline would be overwhelmingly aggressive. They’re nowhere near peaceful and with a wrasse already in there the sixline is most likely to be much worse.

If you look at the stories of good sixlines, then 9 times out of 10 you’ll be reading similar posts from the same people. The lined wrasses of the genus pseudocheilinus are really meant to be recommended for the most aggressive of tanks. And if housed with other wrasses then, personally I feel these wrasses should be housed with other wrasses around the same aggression levels.

For the OP, the yellow “coris” wrasse (Not a true coris as true coris wrasses come from the genus Coris) will most likely outgrow the tank so you’ll need Atleast a 3’ if not 4’ tank. They should get along with the royal gramma as they’re of different families and body shapes. As you have the wrasse established you could get away with the gramma as it is.
Thanks! Yeah, when I originally purchased I was under the impression a tank size of 40 was good. Further research has said 40,55, and as large as 75 gallons.. live and learn I guess. Figure I have some time before I need to upgrade.

aggrofish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yeah I think you find more bad than good on the six line. I added one to a tank with a Yellow Eye Kole Tang, paired clowns, and a watchman goby. Initially their was no aggression but the kole tang followed the wrasse around like it wanted to be buddies. I believe this irritated the wrasse and the wrasse became the bully. It bullied the tang and female clown so much that they became stressed and sick. I had to remove both and treat in QT. Before I could catch the wrasse - the next morning the male clown was dead. I caught the wrasse and gave him to a local reefer with more aggressive fish and he was fine. He couldn't be the aggressor. Super cool looking fish though

BelieveInBlue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had several royal grammas with my yellow canary wrasse (Halichoeres chrysus) in my 90 gal. The two never bother each other. In fact I'm not sure they've ever been aware of the other's existence. The only issue I've noticed is that royal grammas don't seem to last very long unless you get them as juveniles. All mine were bought as large 2 inch+ adults and none made it past 6 months.

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Royal grammas are jerks, I’d avoid them!
Sure you have a royal gramma and not a royal dottyback? Almost identical (notice the purple transition on the dottyback is a straight line and the gramma is more pixelated). Dottyback is a bully, gramma is docile.
1664911468918.jpeg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure you have a royal gramma and not a royal dottyback? Almost identical (notice the purple transition on the dottyback is a straight line and the gramma is more pixelated). Dottyback is a bully, gramma is docile.
1664911468918.jpeg
Another difference you can clearly see is in the fins, a true Royal Gramma will have definitive colours in the fins whilst a bicolour dottyback will have more of a tint to the fins and not a true bold colour.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 21 15.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 65 46.4%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 47 33.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back