Caves! PVC, Rock Stacks, Flower Pots, Or...?

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So for my upcoming build, a good portion of my fish like caves, caves and more caves.

In my first build, I built my caves by carefully arranging the rocks and PVC pipes (which get ignored for the most part). This isn't going to be as practical for this build as its 230 gallons, and I have to work through openings in a braced top. That, and the niger trigger apparently is a big fan of rearranging the rocks, so I have to focus on building solid and stable.

Anyways, I do still plan on trying out a series of pvc caves in the sandbed for the eel, and making as many as I can with the rocks, but am looking at other options, as many of my fish will get quite large.

I've seen clay flowerpot used, with holes drilled, which could work, but would definitely need to be disguised. I even recall one or two people talking about building caves from gluing rubble together.

So, what do y'all do for caves in larger tanks, and why? What has worked, what hasn't?

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just designed the aquascape to provide lots of caves when I did it.

In my large system the rocks on the left hand side have a massive cave inside it, it’s actually sort of hollow with the rocks built up around it.

If your having large fish glue/putty the rocks in place because they can move them especially triggers etc.

Oh and make sure you post some pictures for ‘our approval’! Lol

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just designed the aquascape to provide lots of caves when I did it.

In my large system the rocks on the left hand side have a massive cave inside it, it’s actually sort of hollow with the rocks built up around it.

If your having large fish glue/putty the rocks in place because they can move them especially triggers etc.

Oh and make sure you post some pictures for ‘our approval’! Lol

Could I possibly see some pictures, for inspiration? I will definitely be planning the aquascape carefully. If I can get my hands on a big ol' chunk I may even try to chisel a cave into it.

Epoxy, and lots of it will be holding everything together. Debating if it's worth it to use acrylic rods as well.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could I possibly see some pictures, for inspiration? I will definitely be planning the aquascape carefully. If I can get my hands on a big ol' chunk I may even try to chisel a cave into it.

Epoxy, and lots of it will be holding everything together. Debating if it's worth it to use acrylic rods as well.
His build thread is here https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/s...ef-red-sea-max-s-650-led-design-build.309184/

I usually don’t like to check it out because I can’t contain my jealousy.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Scott’s given the link for you and it’s also in my signature below

But here is the finished aquascape whilst still dry

492E3D60-0750-47FC-ADA3-638D4318077F.jpeg
112DA732-64F3-431E-81EB-386D5718483D.jpeg

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 168 62.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 70 25.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 93 34.4%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 70 25.9%

Back