CBB help

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a CBB this past Saturday and put him in QT. Didn't eat the first day but settled in and started eating the next day, but also noticed some flashing. I usually wait a week and start a round of Prazi first and finish off with copper before going into the DT, but because of the flashing I started the Prazi on Monday.
The CBB has been eating since Monday when I started the Prazi, but this morning it wouldn't eat and I noticed some abrasions on one side, most likely from the flashing. I added some Melafix this morning before going to work. I need to do a wc today, so should I add another dose of Melafix or is there something else I should do?

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appetite suppression is a side effect of Prazi. I would do a water change (it's only active in the water for 72 hours anyway) run some carbon if you can, and work on getting it eating again before the second dose. If it takes longer than the usual 5-7 days between doses you might have to start over.

As far as the abrasions go and using melafix or another treatment @melypr1985 or @Humblefish might have better advice

OP
OP
jd371

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. That was my plan, to do the wc, discontinue the Prazi for now and continue the treatment with Melafix for 7 days according to the instructions.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The abrasions worry me. These guys are very prone to infections... they usually start out as red splotches or streaks. You may want to start real antibiotics quickly. I might be overreacting here, but I would go with the triple threat (kanaplex, furan2 and metroplex) start asap. I've seen CBB's get taken down very quickly once symptoms appear.

OP
OP
jd371

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I left work early and stopped to pick up Metroplex, they didn't have Furan2. I got home did a 50% wc and added the Kanaplex and Metroplex. I hope he makes it, doesn't look good. He was at the surface sucking in air and the blotches seem worse than this morning.
IMG_1091_zpskntmopf6.jpg

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I left work early and stopped to pick up Metroplex, they didn't have Furan2. I got home did a 50% wc and added the Kanaplex and Metroplex. I hope he makes it, doesn't look good. He was at the surface sucking in air and the blotches seem worse than this morning.
IMG_1091_zpskntmopf6.jpg

That's what I was afraid of. If you have ruby reef rally or acriflavin it might help to stave off the infection for a short time so the other meds can do their work, but it's a fast acting infection. I hope for the best for you.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The abrasions worry me. These guys are very prone to infections... they usually start out as red splotches or streaks. You may want to start real antibiotics quickly. I might be overreacting here, but I would go with the triple threat (kanaplex, furan2 and metroplex) start asap. I've seen CBB's get taken down very quickly once symptoms appear.
X2 I agree 100% again

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that looks really, really bad :(

OP
OP
jd371

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I can't believe the sudden turn for the worse, the blotches weren't as dark this morning. He seemed fine a couple of days ago with a great appetite, until this morning. The way I QT my fish is to wait 5-7 days so they are eating and settled in, unless there is something I need to address right away, then start a round of prazi, remove the prazi, wait a week, followed by coppersafe. All my present fish have gone through this with no problems.
Is there something different I should try with this type of fish?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks pretty bad. :( The trifecta of Kanaplex + Furan-2 + Metroplex is awesome. However, for butterflies with red sores/streaks, this stuff can't be beat: http://store.nationalfishpharm.com/Nitrofuracin-Green-59584.Item.html

Of course!! I don't know why I don't think of that first. :rolleyes: Maybe if I used it more often it would more at the forefront of my mind. I'll see about getting some for myself and the store.
Yeah, I can't believe the sudden turn for the worse, the blotches weren't as dark this morning. He seemed fine a couple of days ago with a great appetite, until this morning. The way I QT my fish is to wait 5-7 days so they are eating and settled in, unless there is something I need to address right away, then start a round of prazi, remove the prazi, wait a week, followed by coppersafe. All my present fish have gone through this with no problems.
Is there something different I should try with this type of fish?
With butterflies I find that aside from the obvious threats, infections like this are common along with Lympho. I think having the antibiotics (any or all of the ones mentioned by me or humble) is a good idea. Being ready to treat right at the very moment you see the first signs of this, is the key as well. Once it gets started, it's hard to stop. My point is having the meds ready and available, and being vigilant. They tend to develop it within a week or two of getting them.... though that's not a hard and fast rule.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course!! I don't know why I don't think of that first. :rolleyes: Maybe if I used it more often it would more at the forefront of my mind. I'll see about getting some for myself and the store.

You know me, I don't buy into hype. But NFG powder is some BA stuff for treating bacterial infections! :D

OP
OP
jd371

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just went to check on him and he passed. I'll be getting everything mentioned so I'll be prepared in the future. I feel terrible, I sort of have gotten attached to the little guy already. :(

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just went to check on him and he passed. I'll be getting everything mentioned so I'll be prepared in the future. I feel terrible, I sort of have gotten attached to the little guy already. :(
When I saw the photo, I knew it didn't have 24 hours to live :(

Sorry for your loss

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss, but Ford is right ^^

I don't know if antibiotics would have helped in time. So don't beat yourself up too bad over this.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss sweetie. :(

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 14.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 89 49.4%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 55 30.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.8%

Back