Cbb white tips on fins

Xxflounderxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

This is my first post I have a cbb for one month in qt. He has no problem eating. Day one was a full dose of cupramine .58 and prazi for 2 weeks. Then a water change making sure the copper didn't drop. Water temperature 80 degrees. There looks like white spots or sores on the scales to me it dosen't look like ich but I'm not sure. There is also a brown line present one the one side. Any help is greatly appreciated
20191106_180754.jpg

20191106_180754.jpg
20191106_181524.jpg
20191106_181817.jpg

20191106_180754.jpg

Aussiemarine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that looks like Ich - and a possible bacterial infection

ammonia poisoning is another possibility but as his gills aren’t red I’d probably rule that out unless he’s rapidly breathing

Doesn’t appear to be Uronema

OP
OP
Xxflounderxx

Xxflounderxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that looks like Ich - and a possible bacterial infection

ammonia poisoning is another possibility but as his gills aren’t red I’d probably rule that out unless he’s rapidly breathing

Doesn’t appear to be Uronema

Thank you for your response ammonia I think is out the qt has been up for 2 years no heavy breathing.

How should I treat the bacteria infection?

Aussiemarine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have kanaplex on hand?
If you can get furan-2 and metroplex I’d use all three together but Kanaplex is a good start.

flashing is a sign of any parasitic infection so could have also been due to a combination of crypto and flukes.

I see you are treating with copper at therapeutic levels which should have solved your ich problem ... but those photos show a pretty heavy infestation. when did the spots appear? Was it gradual a few spots at a time or they all sort of appeared overnight ?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you do two rounds of prazi 5-7 days apart? Definitely something going on there.

How do you test copper?

OP
OP
Xxflounderxx

Xxflounderxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can get furan-2 and metroplex I’d use all three together but Kanaplex is a good start.

flashing is a sign of any parasitic infection so could have also been due to a combination of crypto and flukes.

I see you are treating with copper at therapeutic levels which should have solved your ich problem ... but those photos show a pretty heavy infestation. when did the spots appear? Was it gradual a few spots at a time or they all sort of appeared overnight ?

Thanks for the information!! That's what's odd everything was looking good I went on a trip 5 days. Then came home to white spot evey where but this is after a month of copper dosen't make sense.

Aussiemarine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the information!! That's what's odd everything was looking good I went on a trip 5 days. Then came home to white spot evey where but this is after a month of copper dosen't make sense.

Yep certainly doesn’t make sense if you dosed copper correctly and there were no real signs of it prior. Is copper still in the tank or have you removed it now?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes 2 rounds of prazi I'm checking copper with the hanna high range checker

Well I wonder what the deal is then. Certainly looks like ich in the pics.

Aussiemarine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you add anything to the tank at all during this period? Other fish, equipment? Do you have any other QT tanks that could have carried an infection over?

To determine if it’s ich you could also do tank transfer method and see if that helps

OP
OP
Xxflounderxx

Xxflounderxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you add anything to the tank at all during this period? Other fish, equipment? Do you have any other QT tanks that could have carried an infection over?

To determine if it’s ich you could also do tank transfer method and see if that helps

Looking closely they appear to have slight movement is it possible to be mico bubbles? I turned off the sponge filter still running the hang on the back filter to see if it is bubbles?

No nothing added to the tank there was a flasher wrasse in this him purchased at the same time but he didn't make it after 2 weeks

Aussiemarine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spots only visible in certain angles

20191106_200227.jpg

Possible but hard to determine through pictures - without scooping him up and gently brushing over the scales to see if they are just bubbles you will have to just wait and see

othwise give tank transfer ago as that will ensure ich is gone if done correctly

OP
OP
Xxflounderxx

Xxflounderxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possible but hard to determine through pictures - without scooping him up and gently brushing over the scales to see if they are just bubbles you will have to just wait and see

othwise give tank transfer ago as that will ensure ich is gone if done correctly

Thank you for the help

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there. Can you please clarify your QT process from day 1 - current? walk me through it.

OP
OP
Xxflounderxx

Xxflounderxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there. Can you please clarify your QT process from day 1 - current? walk me through it.

It's a 29 gallon with a sponge filter and a aqua clear filter. The fish was acclimated and put into the tank that was at .58 copper. After a few days I started treatment with prazi 2 doses a week apart. Then a 50 percent water change making sure the copper never drops. Then another 2 weeks just in the copper and then to the DT in most cases.

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He might be having a skin reaction to meds. Typically it’s not advised to mix medications like that. Treat copper at therapeutic levels first, ideally 30 days to fully eradicate the parasite. Run carbon and conduct water change to remove copper and then administer 2 rounds of Prazipro with water changes between the doses.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 188 71.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 19 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 49 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.7%
Back