Cbs eating ycg

freebandztonyy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats up guy is it normal for a cbs to eat ycg im new to this i got them cause they look different from other shrimps plz help ill love to know if ama be having this problem
a32ec61adefdb4f4dd8ab35d5b50fd99.jpg
06944c495ce28839c912d83bbdc3a136.jpg

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too many acronyms, Idk what you're talking about when you say YCG, I also have no clue what you're pictures are pointing at... but Coral Banded Shrimp are crazy aggressive, and will eat anything they can catch.

If you don't see it in other reefers tanks -- there's a reason. If you're new to the hobby NEVER get something you don't see other people routinely keep. THat's a recipe for disaster. The CBS will kill everything it can in your tank, from other shrimp, to smaller crabs, and smaller fish.

OP
OP
freebandztonyy

freebandztonyy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too many acronyms, Idk what you're talking about when you say YCG, I also have no clue what you're pictures are pointing at... but Coral Banded Shrimp are crazy aggressive, and will eat anything they can catch.

If you don't see it in other reefers tanks -- there's a reason. If you're new to the hobby NEVER get something you don't see other people routinely keep. THat's a recipe for disaster. The CBS will kill everything it can in your tank, from other shrimp, to smaller crabs, and smaller fish.
Ycg is yellow clown goby and the picture was showin my coral banded shrimp half way done with the ycg but thanks bud

Jacobscorals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Made the same mistake when I started.coral banded shrimp will eat sleeping small fish not fish bigger than it.mine caught every fish in my tank from lawnmower Blenny to clown to small puffer in first three days in my tank.I caught him at lights out dragging them sleeping by their tails to his den to eat them and stopped each time and got lucky no injuries and banned him to frag tank and sucks cuz can't have small fish in frag tank now lol

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ycg is yellow clown goby and the picture was showin my coral banded shrimp half way done with the ycg but thanks bud

Ah, haven't heard that one and couldn't see what was going on.. Now that you say it, it's clear as day -_-

Either way. Coral Banded Shrimp are the devil. If they got big enough they would eat every organism in your tank. Get rid of it. If you don't see it in other reefers tanks, don't buy it. That sounds silly, but with as many reefer's as we have in the hobby... If you don't see other people keeping it, there's usually a *very* good reason!

Keep asking questions, banish that shrimp to the sump or give him to someone who can house him.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Made the same mistake when I started.coral banded shrimp will eat sleeping small fish not fish bigger than it.mine caught every fish in my tank from lawnmower Blenny to clown to small puffer in first three days in my tank.I caught him at lights out dragging them sleeping by their tails to his den to eat them and stopped each time and got lucky no injuries and banned him to frag tank and sucks cuz can't have small fish in frag tank now lol

I'd be so heart broken if I saw that. I such a freakin softy for animals :/

OP
OP
freebandztonyy

freebandztonyy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, haven't heard that one and couldn't see what was going on.. Now that you say it, it's clear as day -_-

Either way. Coral Banded Shrimp are the devil. If they got big enough they would eat every organism in your tank. Get rid of it. If you don't see it in other reefers tanks, don't buy it. That sounds silly, but with as many reefer's as we have in the hobby... If you don't see other people keeping it, there's usually a *very* good reason!

Keep asking questions, banish that shrimp to the sump or give him to someone who can house him.
Will do trust me but quick question its ok to house him in my sump?also will my skimmer or pump wont suck him i also have a demsel fighting everybody like if he runs the tank crazy lol its stressful seeing them fighting

OP
OP
freebandztonyy

freebandztonyy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be so heart broken if I saw that. I such a freakin softy for animals :/
Yea it sucks plus im really getting into to this and when you ask your lsf they be like yes its fine or yea ypu could have a pair of yellow clown goby. Just to get your money but thanks to yall im informing me

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will do trust me but quick question its ok to house him in my sump?also will my skimmer or pump wont suck him i also have a demsel fighting everybody like if he runs the tank crazy lol its stressful seeing them fighting

Damsel fish are the devil. Sometimes they can be cool, some people have figured out how to keep them and swear they get along with everything so long as you have a certain size tank, or layout that they can live with. I'd be hesitant to add more damsels but I feel confident that's what they always do. Kinda like the damsels will just be self-centered with themselves and their "community" of damsels so long as there's more than one. But again. I wouldn't recommend that... I just say don't buy damsels myself.

But also know, that will happen with ALL fish. In general, fish are kind of jerks.. The most placid little fish will pick on another smaller weaker fish if it can. They live in a small environment and don't have the ability to get away. As you keep more and more fish, you'll notice they all have a personality. Some are dopey little sweethearts and some are little demons. But they all can, and probably will have moments of aggression.

Sadly, I would say ditch the damsel. He won't be easy to catch, but getting him out of the tank will be extremely rewarding.

Yea it sucks plus im really getting into to this and when you ask your lsf they be like yes its fine or yea ypu could have a pair of yellow clown goby. Just to get your money but thanks to yall im informing me

I catch a lot of flak for this... Do not trust your LFS. The worst advice I've ever heard was from LFS employees. I've been keeping fish since I was 5, and saltwater fish since I was 12-13, aggressive large predatory fish since I was 9-10. I learned around 9-10 that most LFS employees either 1) Don't care so long as they make a sale or 2) Don't know, so they make stuff up.

It's harsh. But I could spot suspect advice when I was a kid. The LFS is the sleazy used car salesman (No offense to any awesome legit used car salesman).

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Whats up guy is it normal for a cbs to eat ycg im new to this i got them cause they look different from other shrimps plz help ill love to know if ama be having this problem
a32ec61adefdb4f4dd8ab35d5b50fd99.jpg
06944c495ce28839c912d83bbdc3a136.jpg

you must be not that new because I have no clue what a cbs (though looking at your picture - coral branded shrimp) - or YCG. Except Just looked at the rest of the messages - likely your gobie was dead and the shrimp ate it - have never had a problem with coral banded shrimp eating anything - they are considered reef safe (no matter what the others here say). There are always anecdotal reports of problems - who knows.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 14 13.7%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 47 46.1%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 35 34.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back