View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(2) Kessil 160we Tuna Blue w/ Mounting Arms
IM Aqua Gadgets UV
(2) Cobalt Neotherm 100W Heaters
(2) Mid Size Mighty Jet Return Pump
IM Aqua Gadgets Media Caddy (Only Running Filter Floss)
In Tank Media Refugium Basket
IM Desktop LED Chaeto Light
Tunze 9001 Skimmer
Neptune ATK with 35 Fresh Gallon Reservoir
Neptune DOS for Water Changes with 35 Gallon Salt Reservoir
Various Neptune Sensors for ATO and Low Reservoir Warnings
APC 1500VA Battery Backup (Neptune Power Monitoring in Use)
Netgear Powerlink Modules to Establish Wired Connection

I threw away the filter socks because they were not as effective as I would like.

Left side is the UV filter and it has a filter floss type pad before the UV. Right side I have the media basket with filter floss, now followed by carbon.

How do you feel about the mighty jets? I am considering them when I can justify the upgrade haha.

Do you feel confident with only filter floss and no filter sock?

How is your Tunze 9001 setup? Do you have some pictures? I am dialing mine in now.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neptune ATK with 35 Fresh Gallon Reservoir
Neptune DOS for Water Changes with 35 Gallon Salt Reservoir

I am envious that you had both the skill and the available location to set this up for a relatively small tank.
That's 90% of your ongoing tank maintenance right there, automated.

OP
OP
ccombs

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am envious that you had both the skill and the available location to set this up for a relatively small tank.
That's 90% of your ongoing tank maintenance right there, automated.
I am still trying to get the AWC to actually work haha. I am going to spend some time on it today.

OP
OP
ccombs

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you feel about the mighty jets? I am considering them when I can justify the upgrade haha.

Do you feel confident with only filter floss and no filter sock?

How is your Tunze 9001 setup? Do you have some pictures? I am dialing mine in now.

Love the mighty jets, way more quiet and it is nice that they are DC controllable. 100% would do that upgrade again.

Filter floss has caught everything the sock would, and since large sheets of it are relatively cheap, it is nice to be able to change it out as needed and not have to plan out washing them constantly.

I have the 9001 in the chamber where the mighty jets are. It has worked well in the past. I have actually had a hard time dialing it back in since the rebuild so it does not make gulping sounds. I have actually had it off for the past couple of weeks until I get some time to work on it.

rkpetersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IM Aqua Gadgets UV
IM Aqua Gadgets Media Caddy (Only Running Filter Floss)

Have you ever noticed, that they actually spell it AUQA?
Apparently this is intentional.

OP
OP
ccombs

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever noticed, that they actually spell it AUQA?
Apparently this is intentional.
I never noticed, I might have just thought the dealer spelled it wrong.

That might be the dumbest thing I have ever seen....

that-is-literally-the-dumbest-thing-i-have-ever-heard.jpg

rkpetersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 9001 in the chamber where the mighty jets are. It has worked well in the past. I have actually had a hard time dialing it back in since the rebuild so it does not make gulping sounds. I have actually had it off for the past couple of weeks until I get some time to work on it.

I tried one of these and sometimes it worked well, sometimes it didn't.
Did do a reasonable job of managing microbubbles, and didn't overflow.

I'm looking at this one, people seem to like it, but not sure if it'll fit in a 20: https://www.marinedepot.com/IceCap_K1_Nano_Protein_Skimmer-CV28850-FIPSNS-vi.html

OP, I was looking at your equipment list again. No powerheads?

OP
OP
ccombs

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried one of these and sometimes it worked well, sometimes it didn't.
Did do a reasonable job of managing microbubbles, and didn't overflow.

I'm looking at this one, people seem to like it, but not sure if it'll fit in a 20: https://www.marinedepot.com/IceCap_K1_Nano_Protein_Skimmer-CV28850-FIPSNS-vi.html

OP, I was looking at your equipment list again. No powerheads?
I had a gyre going for awhile but have run into some issues and cannot seem to get useful support on it.

As of now I am getting what I need from running 2 return pumps as opposed to just one that was split.

rkpetersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AUQA makes their products have unique names, I guess.
Type in 'auqa' and all of their products will come up first.

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the mighty jets, way more quiet and it is nice that they are DC controllable. 100% would do that upgrade again.

Filter floss has caught everything the sock would, and since large sheets of it are relatively cheap, it is nice to be able to change it out as needed and not have to plan out washing them constantly.

My intank media basket with filter floss is so easy maintenance I am getting filter floss holder for the other sock now.... the socks are so yesterday.

I will get the mightyjet as soon as I find some money laying around.

Before I did this water change tonight I had my skimmer looking really pretty!!! Hoping when water settles it's skimming like a champ again.

OP
OP
ccombs

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well.... I came home from a work trip to a new puppy. Meet Bandit, he is asleep next to Buddy after some intense play time! My wife and I work really hard at training these pups and I am happy to report that he stopped crying in his crate on day 2.

Bandit is a 6 week old Australian Shepherd Mix that we rescued.

IMG_6310.JPG

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well.... I came home from a work trip to a new puppy. Meet Bandit, he is asleep next to Buddy after some intense play time! My wife and I work really hard at training these pups and I am happy to report that he stopped crying in his crate on day 2.

Bandit is a 6 week old Australian Shepherd Mix that we rescued.

IMG_6310.JPG
Your little one is so cute. My wife won’t let me keep a dog or a cat. And my kids love animals so much

Don Lidtke

Some Old Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet build you have here!

My Lovely Woman looks over much of my writing because I tend to use incomplete sentences, (many years of writing user support docs, that they never read...lol) wrong tense and spell horribly. I also delete my spelling dictionary from time to time because I end up putting misspelled words into it. I normally do that when My Love looks at something and asked if I spell checked it...lol!

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does your lighting schedule look like with those A160WE? I just started using them as well and I need to get a good base point. They're much stronger than my previous A80's.

OP
OP
ccombs

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

I have a few quick updates.

1) tank is doing great, everything is thriving and maturing

2) I have a thread where my clownfish was having some weird behavior, they are both doing well

3) Fixed my AWC system. I was using this really sleek dosing line for my AWC so it went cleanly in the back. I failed to see it had a pre-drilled siphon break in it for other applications, this kept the DOS from being able to remove water.

4) I will be on the forum less frequent for awhile. I was in a hit and run back in February and I am still dealing with issues regarding my cognitive function and physical pain. Last night I ended up in the hospital for the 3rd time regarding this after my lower vertebrae slipped out of place, caused a disc bulge, and rendered me unable to move. I am loaded up on meds right now so I am in less pain.

This bulge had been there since the wreck and it was more a question of if than when that pinched nerve would escalate.

It has been pinched since February, but went to a whole other level last night. It’s funny, in my mind I always thought I knew what a 10 felt like in regards to pain, turns out I didn’t have the slightest clue.

As soon as I am healthy I will be back on more frequently to help other reefers and participate.

Until then, best of luck to all and I will miss hanging out!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 47 51.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.8%
Back