OP
ccombs

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns are looking great. Super playful and only scare me with their pairing rituals ever 2 minutes haha. Since they are so active, I had the hardest time checking on them in the middle of the night. They kept moving around and I thought one of them had disappeared, but they were just being silly clown fish. I know for sure one of them ate yesterday when I first fed, and I believe the other one did too, they just move around so much, once again it is easy to miss.

One of them seems to swim constantly, while the other just floats like normal, I am keeping my eye on that.

IMG_2937.jpg
IMG_2940.jpg
IMG_2941.jpg

It is storming pretty bad in Nashville, part of me wants us to lose power for a little bit so I can see my battery backup in action. I have tested it by unplugging it from the wall and all, I would just love to verify it all works while I am here as opposed to hoping it works when I am gone for a week lol.

OP
OP
ccombs

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had previously mentioned my tank getting the 'uglies'. I changed up my lighting schedule and my sand cleared up and the CUC got everything straightened out. My rocks had started getting a tint of brown, nothing crazy, but seriously in about a 24 hour time period the color just exploded! I cannot wait for this coralline to turn purple!

IMG_2959.jpg
IMG_2960.jpg

Finally, I have my AWC system off at the moment per the Lasse method. He states to not do water changes or test until 4 weeks at the earliest. Not doing either of these things has been quite the vacation and I love it! lol.

OP
OP
ccombs

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just read the entire thread ! kudos to you for persevering and such a detailed account. Love it. Wishing you smooth sailing with the restart.
I certainly appreciate it. I started the reef for my own mental relaxation...obviously have not quite gotten there yet, but someday!

It is funny, I was venting to my wife one day after a friend told me they had a successful reef in college. They didn't QT, they used tap water, overstocked, didn't clean, hardly did water changes, and had great success with corals and fish. Meanwhile I have followed the 'rules' and was having all of these issues. It is funny how the cards are dealt sometimes.

Thank you for the kind words, I hope you have success in the hobby as well. Will you be coming from East Tenn. for the frag swap this weekend?

Salty Lemon

Doing my best to make waves.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to leave for work and I'm not going to be able to finish this today. I'm only about a third of the way through. But I'm enjoying your thread and am definitely following along from now on. :)

seaplane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I certainly appreciate it. I started the reef for my own mental relaxation...obviously have not quite gotten there yet, but someday!

It is funny, I was venting to my wife one day after a friend told me they had a successful reef in college. They didn't QT, they used tap water, overstocked, didn't clean, hardly did water changes, and had great success with corals and fish. Meanwhile I have followed the 'rules' and was having all of these issues. It is funny how the cards are dealt sometimes.

Thank you for the kind words, I hope you have success in the hobby as well. Will you be coming from East Tenn. for the frag swap this weekend?[/QUOTEI
I guess " rules" are sometimes meant to be broken, lol. I learned with my first build that my impatience was the biggest impediment to my success. Doubt I will make it to the swap. be sure and post pics of any goodies you score.

OP
OP
ccombs

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to leave for work and I'm not going to be able to finish this today. I'm only about a third of the way through. But I'm enjoying your thread and am definitely following along from now on. :)
Thanks! It gets worse before it gets better lol.

OP
OP
ccombs

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so happy right now, all of the fish have been swimming around together in a group all day like they are best friends. The clowns even did their hug sort of thing where they rub on each other on the goby. Surprisingly he sat there and accepted it lol.

IMG_2972.jpg

Who knows, there might be aggression someday... but for now I am enjoying the peace and harmony.

Oh! Also super funny, my clowns LOVE playing with the SeaChem Ammonia Alert Badge. They love swinging it around. They are so playful and curious, it is like having fish puppies.

OP
OP
ccombs

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just read, sorry about the start, but looks like really great recovery. Tank looks great.
It is certainly starting to come together. Thanks for giving the thread a read!

In hindsight, I learned so much through the whole process, I am in a much better spot for success because I learned everything not to do. I would rather have a tank crash at 7 months then run it poorly for a few years before a crash.

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns are looking great. Super playful and only scare me with their pairing rituals ever 2 minutes haha. Since they are so active, I had the hardest time checking on them in the middle of the night. They kept moving around and I thought one of them had disappeared, but they were just being silly clown fish. I know for sure one of them ate yesterday when I first fed, and I believe the other one did too, they just move around so much, once again it is easy to miss.

One of them seems to swim constantly, while the other just floats like normal, I am keeping my eye on that.

IMG_2937.jpg
IMG_2940.jpg
IMG_2941.jpg

It is storming pretty bad in Nashville, part of me wants us to lose power for a little bit so I can see my battery backup in action. I have tested it by unplugging it from the wall and all, I would just love to verify it all works while I am here as opposed to hoping it works when I am gone for a week lol.
Beautiful clowns and a very nice build. Looks like you had a few stuggles in the beginning but you have done a great job turning things around. Following...:)

OP
OP
ccombs

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful clowns and a very nice build. Looks like you had a few stuggles in the beginning but you have done a great job turning things around. Following...:)
Thanks! The probability of that many problems has to be quite astronomical haha. My biggest issue was the fact I was having parameter swings while simultaneously having a disease slightly kept at bay by the UV. It was a perfect storm of me not being able to figure out what the heck was happening.

Thank you for reading, my goal is to have a tank so stunning you forget it is small.

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! The probability of that many problems has to be quite astronomical haha. My biggest issue was the fact I was having parameter swings while simultaneously having a disease slightly kept at bay by the UV. It was a perfect storm of me not being able to figure out what the heck was happening.

Thank you for reading, my goal is to have a tank so stunning you forget it is small.
There are benefits to a small tank, you can make them look amazing with less. There is no doubt in my mind you will achieve that stunning tank. You research, you seek help and you didn't give up!

OP
OP
ccombs

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These clown fish are so dang silly! I just watched one gently 'nose boop' a hermit repeatedly for a few minutes. It is crazy because they aren't doing anything aggressive, they are just so curious. I am interested to see if it is instinctual for these clowns to use my cleaner shrimp since they are captive bred... I would assume it would be.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 99 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.9%
Back