CDA 100g Acropora Journey

Guttersnipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, thank you! I really appreciate it. This tank still has a long ways to go from what I had planned for it from the beginning. Hopefully, after the rescape. I can stop messing with it and stay the course. haha
Currently, I am just dosing ESV 3 part and kalk from a reactor. My light schedule is pretty simple. 3 hours blue led ramp up. 6 hours (4 hours w/all 8 bulbs) T5s, 3 hours blue led ramp down. Total 12 hour light cycle. Most of my acros get about 350-500 par.
Sorry to hear about the issues your going through. We all go through them at one time or another. But yes, bottoming out nutrients is never a good thing. What helped me was increasing availability to the corals throughout the day by feeding the fish more often. I feed 6 times a day. Every couple of hours. The avast feeder does a great job at this feeding little bits at a time. I can load it with all kinds of foods. I also feed LRS frozen, dose live phyto, and aminos at night. My reefer buddies think I'm crazy for feeding this much haha but my residuals stays pretty low.
Thank you for sharing. I really appreciate it. I’m going to cut back my lights and start feeding more.

OP
OP
mxnutz

mxnutz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started working on the new scape today. Watched some of David's videos (First Time Reefer TV) on how he scaped with the glue and dry rock dust method) So last Saturday, I was able to take a hammer to some stax rocks I had laying around and smashed them up to small bits. Once they were small enough. I used a mortar and pestle to ground them into fine dust. Took about 2-3 hours to fill a small food container.
hpMfur3.jpg

Goals for the new scape
1. spots/caves for fishes to hide/sleep
2. lots of spots to mount acros
3. semi-floating - overhangs for fishes to swim under/floor space for chalices
4. Copy someone's scape. :p

Some of the larger size branches I was able to work with. :)
7aV72ok.jpg

I used glue masters thin and that glue heats up pretty good. Bonded pretty well with the fine rock dust. The joints were rock solid after about 5 minutes. I was really surprised. I went through like 10 pairs of gloves today though. Once the glue gets on the gloves. It is pretty much done and needs a replacement.
Some progress....
Wcxkc0D.jpg

C4wFKgQ.jpg

9fnBiX1.jpg

47nx6hW.jpg

That is pretty much what I have done today. I will work on it some more tomorrow.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mxnutz

mxnutz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Round 2 today :D

I added a few smaller pieces to the base to give it a more "fuller" look. After that, I started working on the right side. I wish my tank was 5 or 6 feet long so I could've kept extending the floating branches. haha
sIngA33.jpg

qqXJWh9.jpg

OQjiLZd.jpg

V1Ku2hx.jpg

vjb5MvL.jpg

dXla1PI.jpg

I think I'm pretty much done. Tomorrow, I will retouch all the joints with glue and rock dust one more time.

OP
OP
mxnutz

mxnutz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Round 3 today...:cool:

I added a few more smaller branches to the back to add a little more height. After, added some more dust and glue to the rest of the joints. I also added 2 part epoxy to the bottom joints that were "floating". Just in case. Rather be safe than sorry.
XZCBhNq.jpg

f6as3Fz.jpg

bORYECp.jpg

q00yk1R.jpg

j4hYDHB.jpg

The scape is done. :) I probably used about 15-20 branches to complete it. Super easy and I hate scaping. I will always use this method to scape now. Tomorrow, I will move it in the frag tank and let it cure for 2 months. During these 2 months. I will start to disassemble the current scape in my 100g and move corals over to the frag tank slowly.

OP
OP
mxnutz

mxnutz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had the chance today to move the new scape to the frag tank. Dang thing barely fit through the eurobracing. haha
bed34WF.jpg

ncd5yY2.jpg

U7h2BbY.jpg

Can't wait to get this thing into my DT. :p

Last edited:
OP
OP
mxnutz

mxnutz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was giving myself till the end of this month to complete the list of tasks I had before moving the new scape into the DT. But I finished the list early and was able to make the move last Thursday. Took about 8-9 hours. ;Happy It was a long day. haha
I had roughly 50-60 different types of acros in the tank and decided to sell off a majority of them at our local forum. Most were tables or testers that grew too fast. I didn't want to risk losing them in the frag tank since the frag tank is not ready for acros yet. So now, I'm down to about 18 and will add about 5-10 more in the future and call it a day. Want to give them a little bit of more room to grow. As for fishes, I rehomed the betta fish and moved the tomini tang and springer damsel to the frag tank. So now, I will be on the hunt for some more smaller type fishes.
Progression full tank shots of the last few months.
YF7qBRX.jpg

5jIQEPy.jpg

6GD8675.jpg

hBOwpFS.jpg

BNd9rCf.jpg

F9uOnV2.jpg

kFyqwha.jpg

wFY0Dzu.jpg

I still have a few acros I need to mount that I couldn't get to last week. Will work on it this weekend. :)

Was fun trying to get all these acros off the main structure without breaking them up too much. o_O
8r0rdWa.jpg

top view
l3C2xLQ.jpg

side view
6KoRC0o.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
mxnutz

mxnutz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, enough pics of rocks. haha Got to take some pics today of the acros I kept in this tank. TBH, I hate taking pics now. dang wrasses keeps jumping all over the place. Last month, my flame jumped and landed on the wood floor while doing a WC. Luckily, he still alive. haha
Just some iphone shots with orange filter and all the T5s on.

TGC Cherry Bomb
jagJVxg.jpg

Tyree Superman Tenuis
WXNs8PG.jpg

CC Disney Jr.
MVQIbpy.jpg

JF Jolt
8EBgOsZ.jpg

TGC Acrolandia - I've had this one for about 14 months. really slow grower for me.
jhOYGmU.jpg

RMF Lucky Charms - same with this one. slow grower.
lVqeaED.jpg

RRC Lady in Pink
zqGUcH4.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
mxnutz

mxnutz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RRU Angry Birds - I decided to frag the colony and let the main part/base regrow to the new scape. Once I cut the colony it lost all of its colors. Hopefully, it can recolor back up in a couple years. ;Woot This piece gets the award for slowest grower and hardest to color up. haha
3x5rT0b.jpg

I cut 4-5 frags and remounted them on the same extending branch. I'm hoping to get a nice big colony in a few years. Here is one of the bigger cuts.
eFaMy1r.jpg

SCOP to the left. RROP on the right. Same coral? Hmmm...
H74Y8bB.jpg

OG shortcake - Had this piece since 2015. Think this is the longest acro I've kept. It's a stunner once it becomes colony size. Wasn't planning on keeping any tables in this tank but had to keep this piece.
vOCS2RZ.jpg

Vivids 4 lokos
Cr8MHkH.jpg

RR Pretty in Pink
KcxvWeD.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
mxnutz

mxnutz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JF Homewrecker - such a pretty acro. :)
poPUm1S.jpg

WD
ZVhud11.jpg

Jacksons Rainbow - really looking forward to this one growing out.
KJhUE3B.jpg

RRUOP
jSFIdg0.jpg

My QT/Nano tank became a Nem tank. haha Dang, CSB went on a growth spurt the last 6 months and starting stinging everything in its path. Moved all my softies/lps to the frag tank.

2p5XZNQ.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
mxnutz

mxnutz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! You killed it with the tonga branch! Nice job. And the acro collection is amazing.
Thank you! I've used branch rock before and it isn't easy to scape with. But with the thin glue and sand. It made it a lot easier. No need for zip ties this time around. ahha. But, I feel, I created the scape too big for this tank. With this scape, I wish my tank was 4-6 inches wider, longer, and taller. Time for new tank? LOL :p

Last edited:
OP
OP
mxnutz

mxnutz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't updated in a few months. Nothing much going on. Just letting the tank settle in a bit before I add some new acros. It has been 3 months since I added the new tonga scape (dang time flies!!!) and things seem to be going well lately so I decided to pull the trigger on some acros this week.
Got a delivery today from Graham (gws3). Always wanted to check out his acros. I even bookmarked him so I don't lose his contact. haha Well lets just say. He didn't disappoint. ;Happy

MCC Prom Queen, MattV Mad Hatter, WWC Pink Panther, Hung's Rainbow, and RMF Lucky Charms (freebie).
0kMeTPD.jpg

Y1fH7gk.jpg

Love having a saw on hand. Makes cutting off the plugs easy even if it has been encrusted.
S8diAhr.jpg

Also visited the homie John (thirst) and came home with a Vivid Insanity and SKA Jackpot. :)
oJCNWgs.jpg

Will get some better pics of the acros next week once they have settle in but in the meantime. Here are some fishy pics I found on my phone. ;Joyful
yr9ipGF.jpg

e0ziWI7.jpg

Jff06JE.jpg

FTS - I'm not sure if I like all those corals on the bottom pane. I may remove all of them once the acros grow out some. hmmm...
me4iF4w.jpg

Last edited:

aabjones888

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The nem looks beautiful, any fish in there with it?
JF Homewrecker - such a pretty acro. :)
poPUm1S.jpg

WD
ZVhud11.jpg

Jacksons Rainbow - really looking forward to this one growing out.
KJhUE3B.jpg

RRUOP
jSFIdg0.jpg

My QT/Nano tank became a Nem tank. haha Dang, CSB went on a growth spurt the last 6 months and starting stinging everything in its path. Moved all my softies/lps to the frag tank.

2p5XZNQ.jpg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 34.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 17 26.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 21.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back