OP
OP
mxnutz

mxnutz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that's high phosphate but your corals are obviously digging it.
lol, I know right? I don't mind having higher residual levels. Higher levels just mean more manual cleaning every week for me because the dominant nuisance algae/pests starts taking over faster. Luckily, for my tank., it is only brown/green film algae.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mxnutz

mxnutz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! That is a beautiful bare bottom tank. Would you attribute the success to seeded media/sponges/rock from old system or something else?
Hey, thanks buddy! Hmmm...not sure if this is considered success yet. It still has a lot to grow. Don't want to get ahead of myself. haha :) It has only been up and running for about 16 months or so but it is slowly getting there. There is still a ton to monitor, do and learn.
I haven't done much to the tank but added dry rock, some pineapple sponges and once the tank gone through ugly stage. I added as much coral to the tank as I can. Pretty much instant reef. I have been doing this method for the last 17+ years. Only difference now is how little the frags are for the price. So it is harder to add colony size corals now a days without paying a fortune. But, for me, the more coral I add. Seems the faster the tank stabilizes. But also, keep in mind the BIG 5 (Parameters, Lighting, Flow, Nutrition, and Routine Maintenance) to keep corals happy and thriving.

Here is one instant reef I just created a couple months ago. It is my red sea nano that I was QTing corals for my DT but since I was pretty much done with QT. I took out the main frag rack inside and added dry tonga branch rock. But I've had marinepure spheres thats been in the sump for 5+ years. I don't think it matters though once it is cycled....:D

akfodJq.jpg

TJFp6ZP.jpg

Here is my son's 20g IM nuvo that has been up for 14 months. Started the same way. Dry rock and sand.
v6D3Q9g.jpg

Bgf4LKa.jpg

HTH

Last edited:
OP
OP
mxnutz

mxnutz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PH is all the rage these days or I'm just late to the party. :D Decided to install a IceCap CO2 scrubber. One of the few toys I haven't messed with since my reefing days. I don't have any ph monitors so I'll have to watch the corals and alk consumption.
Install was quick and easy. I thought I would be able to hang it on the sump but the bracing on the sump is too wide and won't fit. Luckily, I have this skimmer stand stashed away.
kN2RAHl.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
mxnutz

mxnutz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the build! Corals look great too. I bought a CD 48x28x22 in February. Should be ready next month. Following your build now.
Thank you! I'm enjoying the tank more now that I've been working from home the past year and have more time to observe. Good choice on the CD tank. They are well built tanks but the wait can be long at times. I've always had their tanks in the past when they were Leemar. Good luck on your build and most importantly. Have fun with it! :)

OP
OP
mxnutz

mxnutz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
small update on the build...:)

I don't usually place orders from East Coast to ship to Cali but last month I placed my first order. I bought some acros from Keith over at Reef Bum during his live sale.
Jacksons rainbow and aquascene ice fire echinatas. I love collecting old school corals. :p The packaging was superb and all 3 made it to the QT tank. Would definitely purchase again from Keith.
TCNrx99.jpg

I also made my co2 scrubber recirculating and added an extra container that I had laying around for moisture from the skimmer after reading up on some threads. I'm not sure if I did it right. If I didn't please let me know. lol
But since adding the scrubber. My alk went from doing 10 ml to 70ml + kalk in the first 4 days. I do notice my acros growing a lot faster. Some that were just encrusting. Started to shoot branches. I'll try to take some pics of the acros this weekend.
8BfPVpB.jpg

Heres the current FTS. I did move some corals over from QT a few weeks ago.
W9tlwP8.jpg

The tank is starting to look cluttered with all the acros on the bottom glass. I hate having frag racks in my DT and I don't want to sell them. So......

Last edited:
OP
OP
mxnutz

mxnutz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a frag/grow out/hoarding/back up tank. haha I had John at advance acrylics build me one. The build quality on the acrylic is flawless and his customer service was awesome to work with.
66x24x14 eurobraced external overflow with synergy sump. I was looking for an open style stand and I got the stand idea from a local reefer Dan (reefer0708). I have a bunch of older reef equipment from our office 180g tank that we took down last year because of COVID and I will be putting those to use since my boss does not want to restart the tank at the office again. :)

Ge0M3D8.jpg

I am waiting on some plumbing supplies from BRS and I should have this up and running this weekend. ;Happy

Last edited:
OP
OP
mxnutz

mxnutz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, been a few months since I last updated. But the tank is doing well and pretty much on cruise control. I did rehome some fish as I feel they were getting too big and aggressive for the display and added a few more smaller active type fish. Gone are blue tang, 4 line wrasse, both lyretail anthias. I went on a fairy wrasse hunt and have added 3 rhomboids, 1 pintail, 2 earls, and a flame to the rest of the group. ;Happy
Some quick pics with my iphone and coralvue orange lens.

GYhuItr.jpg

o1NicwB.jpg

C1doALU.jpg

lTDnwdl.jpg

3f1lYtj.jpg

uZNrJpx.jpg

N5pUe98.png

KWdPs7R.jpg

aqxCZet.jpg

NuDqyAw.jpg

bnzim5E.jpg

q44bOcA.jpg

uvjuFPK.jpg

HifL0wr.jpg

thought this was a cool pic. Lights ramping down and about to turn off in the next 5 minutes. :p
S8LPNsl.jpg

If everything pans out in a couple weeks. The display will have a new look. So, it is fitting that this might be the last full tank shot. :D
Stay tuned!

OP
OP
mxnutz

mxnutz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So...I made a 10 hour round trip drive up north a few weeks ago and picked up some real tonga branch rock. When I started this tank. I was looking but couldn't find enough to scape a 100g tank. I should have enough now. ahha :)
BZbpV4p.png

Lots of nice big pieces but most of them were infested with vermetid snail tubes. I spent about a week (2 hours a day) and started removing them with bone cutters. They came off fairly quick but I literally removed 500+ tubes. haha
9BCcZ2O.jpg

iRIwAhk.jpg

z7CziUw.jpg

All vermetid tubes removed and I currently have the branches soaking in RODI water. I will probably start building the scape next week.
IwCA9v1.jpg

On a side note. While moving some live rock to the grow out/frag tank. I noticed baby trochus snails in the sump. Pretty cool that they are breeding in the tank. :D
tuOtwgb.jpg

Last edited:

Guttersnipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is amazing. Are you dosing or using a carx? What’s your light schedule like? My tank is also from cda and have 8 bulb powermodule over it. It’s just not doing well after I replaced
My tank with the cda one. My nutrients bottomed out. I’m trying to get it back Up.

OP
OP
mxnutz

mxnutz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, thank you! I really appreciate it. This tank still has a long ways to go from what I had planned for it from the beginning. Hopefully, after the rescape. I can stop messing with it and stay the course. haha
Currently, I am just dosing ESV 3 part and kalk from a reactor. My light schedule is pretty simple. 3 hours blue led ramp up. 6 hours (4 hours w/all 8 bulbs) T5s, 3 hours blue led ramp down. Total 12 hour light cycle. Most of my acros get about 350-500 par.
Sorry to hear about the issues your going through. We all go through them at one time or another. But yes, bottoming out nutrients is never a good thing. What helped me was increasing availability to the corals throughout the day by feeding the fish more often. I feed 6 times a day. Every couple of hours. The avast feeder does a great job at this feeding little bits at a time. I can load it with all kinds of foods. I also feed LRS frozen, dose live phyto, and aminos at night. My reefer buddies think I'm crazy for feeding this much haha but my residuals stays pretty low.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back