Ceiling over tank?

iReefer12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m planning a large 10’x4’ aquarium. The canopy will go all the way to the ceiling, I plan on installing a fan to pull humid air out of that space, but a concern I have is the humidity causing mold on the ceiling. Should I consider pulling out that section of ceiling and replacing with green board? Or some other water resistant drywall?

What’s the consensus, I’ll only get one shot and want to do it right the first time.

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in co I don’t foresee a big issue. I’d vent it from the sides of the canopy not aiming up at the ceiling. Like @Projects with Sam said normal house paint should protect fine (preferably a glossy coating)

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's all going to be dependent on how much humidity and how well the venting is done.

I can't speak for Colorado, but a quality exterior paint as Sam pointed out should suffice, and as polyp said I'd do side vents (multiple).

For paint I'd also recommend one of the Rust-Oleum marine paints.

All that said going with the green board and properly installed water proofing would always be the safest option, but it's probably not required in this instance especially with the height involved and rate of evaporation vs air turnover/exchange.

gibbers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m planning a large 10’x4’ aquarium. The canopy will go all the way to the ceiling, I plan on installing a fan to pull humid air out of that space, but a concern I have is the humidity causing mold on the ceiling. Should I consider pulling out that section of ceiling and replacing with green board? Or some other water resistant drywall?

What’s the consensus, I’ll only get one shot and want to do it right the first time.
I am using 4x8 1/2 white pvc for mine

OP
OP
iReefer12

iReefer12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I wonder if I painted the ceiling with a coat of Red Guard and then painted over the red guard with the same ceiling paint?

Yeah, I was planning on using something similar to a bathroom exhaust fan right above.

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if I painted the ceiling with a coat of Red Guard and then painted over the red guard with the same ceiling paint?

Yeah, I was planning on using something similar to a bathroom exhaust fan right above.

I'd go with an exterior paint or that rustoleoum marine paint. Bathroom fan should eliminate any issues though.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

You are looking to do what I have done. Works out great

600g2.jpg
660 cabinets 2.jpg

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
How about a picture of the cieling inside your canopy for inspiration?
I configured the lights differently with orpheks but here are pics from the fellow I bought system from:

660 light4.jpg
660 LIGHT3.jpg
660 LIGHT2.jpg
600g3.jpg

OP
OP
iReefer12

iReefer12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You are looking to do what I have done. Works out great

600g2.jpg
660 cabinets 2.jpg

Yeah, exactly like this, except my ceilings are not as high as yours, so will look a bit different. I will have about 25” from top edge of tank to ceiling. Hence my concern for the ceiling to be so close to all that moisture.

I’ve been reading about exterior paints inside and they really don’t recommend it because of the VOCs?

Spicy Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

exhaust fan will be enough. air movement will take care of humidity unless there is some drastic difference in temp of the room vs tank. assuming room is NOT in a basement...

Spicy Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be in a finished basement. :grimacing-face:
Ok, so you'll want a strong fan then. One that you can control the speed and one that has a humidity sensor. Whisper makes a quiet one :)
6" minimum duct
also, depending on how tight your home is. you might need to have an air exchange into the basement...

Indymann99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, exactly like this, except my ceilings are not as high as yours, so will look a bit different. I will have about 25” from top edge of tank to ceiling. Hence my concern for the ceiling to be so close to all that moisture.

I’ve been reading about exterior paints inside and they really don’t recommend it because of the VOCs?
off topic but 24" top of tank to ceiling is going to be kind of tight to operate a scraper FYI. How tall is the tank?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
exhaust fan will be enough. air movement will take care of humidity unless there is some drastic difference in temp of the room vs tank. assuming room is NOT in a basement...
ventillation is key

OP
OP
iReefer12

iReefer12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
off topic but 24" top of tank to ceiling is going to be kind of tight to operate a scraper FYI. How tall is the tank?
Yeah, it’s not ideal. This part of the basement they dropped the ceiling to accommodate the ductwork for the hvac.

stand would be 36”, tank is 29”. The ceiling is 90” off the ground.

magnet scrapers will work. I currently have a 220, 30” tall in the same space.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back