Center piece fish.

Tchung23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a reefer xl200. Have a few fish in it and I think I really only have room for one more fish. I was talking to my lfs owner and suggested since I have a smallish tank and won’t have much more space that I should get a show piece fish. He suggested Swiss guard basslet. That’s a lot of $$$ but will probably be my last fish that goes in.
Does anyone have a suggestion. I don’t mind paying more if it’s an awesome fish.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Banghai cardinal
Male anthias
Flame angel

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flame angel is a gorgous fish
Black cap basslests
Fairy wrasses
Flasher wrasses

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Close to buying. Flame angle. Was told they will sometime pick at corals. Very hit or miss.

cost about $250 her in Canada.
Will make anthias be ok in my tank?
Male anthias good as long as only one
I have 2 flames and neither even look at the corals
$250 ?? One of mine was $49.99 and other was $59.99

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Close to buying. Flame angle. Was told they will sometime pick at corals. Very hit or miss.

cost about $250 her in Canada.
Will make anthias be ok in my tank?
One of the most seasoned reefers I know told me all of the pygmy angels are reef safe if you feed them enough. I guess it all depends on how much time you can dedicate to feeding them and how much your system can handle.

OP
OP
T

Tchung23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Male anthias good as long as only one
I have 2 flames and neither even look at the corals
$250 ?? One of mine was $49.99 and other was $59.99
Fish prices have sky rocketed in Canada. Also flame angles are getting expensive due to Hawaii. From what I’ve been told.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the most seasoned reefers I know told me all of the pygmy angels are reef safe if you feed them enough. I guess it all depends on how much time you can dedicate to feeding them and how much your system can handle.
Well...

OP: what else do you have in your tank?

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may be on the border of getting too big for your tank but I personally love the melanurus wrasse. I will probably never have another tank without one.
A purple firefish would also be an attractive addition to almost any tank IMO.

However, my actual advice is that unless you really trust them never take advice from someone trying to sell you something.

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a reefer xl200. Have a few fish in it and I think I really only have room for one more fish. I was talking to my lfs owner and suggested since I have a smallish tank and won’t have much more space that I should get a show piece fish. He suggested Swiss guard basslet. That’s a lot of $$$ but will probably be my last fish that goes in.
Does anyone have a suggestion. I don’t mind paying more if it’s an awesome fish.
Why not go with the swissguard then? Ive seen them on divers den lately for about 230

OP
OP
T

Tchung23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not go with the swissguard then? Ive seen them on divers den lately for about 230
Never seen one in real life. I was planing on a basslet but my lfs guy said I should get something less common.

OP
OP
T

Tchung23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everybody has cardinals. They're too common to be a showpiece fish
I already have 2 cardinals. This is what happens when you take your wife to the lfs to pick up some corals. She insisted we get them. I bought 2 but she wanted even more

MB_Fahrer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had great luck with coral beauty, fire, biclor, and midnight angels in my mixed reef tanks. Never had any issues with nipping coral or invertebrates. So yes a flame angel would be a nice addition, or something more special like a potters.

MB_Fahrer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already have 2 cardinals. This is what happens when you take your wife to the lfs to pick up some corals. She insisted we get them. I bought 2 but she wanted even more
Haha! They're good fish in that they're always out and give something to look at. Funny story :)

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A male anthias would not appreciate being alone but certain species fair better than the rest, I would recommend a single borbonius anthias. They are beautiful, expensive, grow large, and interesting.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 154 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back