Ceramic Bio Balls, or Rubble Rock? (eShopps Deskmate)

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning everyone, I was just looking at the back of my little eShopps Deskmate (5 gallon volume), and currently in the back of the filter chamber I have a zipper pouch of ceramic bio balls that came with the package from BRS.

I also haev about 5lbs of carib sea "nano" rock that wasn't able to fit into the tank. I had a thought to myself...should I bust up all this rock into rubble, and remove those ceramic bio balls, and put this rock in the back of the tank instead. Would that end up being more beneficial than the bio balls?

I don't run a skimmer, so I want to give the tank the best amount of biological filtration possible, and was thinking that maybe busted up rock would be even better for the tank, and possible even better for more pods to grow and multiply, etc.

I appreciate your input!

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re system is cycled with those rings then removing them would impact your biological filter, if you replace Ethan with living rock then you could possibly get away with it but I wouldn’t do that now unless the system has live rocks in it already.

Rookums Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning everyone, I was just looking at the back of my little eShopps Deskmate (5 gallon volume), and currently in the back of the filter chamber I have a zipper pouch of ceramic bio balls that came with the package from BRS.

I also haev about 5lbs of carib sea "nano" rock that wasn't able to fit into the tank. I had a thought to myself...should I bust up all this rock into rubble, and remove those ceramic bio balls, and put this rock in the back of the tank instead. Would that end up being more beneficial than the bio balls?

I don't run a skimmer, so I want to give the tank the best amount of biological filtration possible, and was thinking that maybe busted up rock would be even better for the tank, and possible even better for more pods to grow and multiply, etc.

I appreciate your input!
The bio balls are really porous and that creates a large surface are for bacteria. With that being said, I've heard that some can leach heavy metals as they get older and break down. I started my fuge with them but haven't yet removed them. Not sure how much room you have but you could definitely throw in some your ruble slowly, so it cures before you take out out the bio balls?

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back