Cerith or Trochus eggs ??

  • Thread starter Thread starter Rach77
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Rach77

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 3, 2024
Messages
169
Reaction score
147
Location
Punta Gorda, FL
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got home from work this morning and found these egg sacs. They appear to be chain like but clumped up. Found in two areas on the rocks. I have viewed pictures of both and am unsure, looking for assistance please.

20250410_101607.jpg 20250410_101619.jpg
 
Are ceriths and and trochus all you have in your tank?
Trochus usually broadcast spawn, not sure if they are capable of laying eggs as well.
Doesn't look all that much like cerith though, I think they're smaller.
 
Are ceriths and and trochus all you have in your tank?
Trochus usually broadcast spawn, not sure if they are capable of laying eggs as well.
Doesn't look all that much like cerith though, I think they're smaller.
This tank has east african cerith, cortez cerith, dwarf cerith, trochus, turbos, nassarius vibex, stocky cerith, astrea, bumblebee snail, zigzags
 
This tank has east african cerith, cortez cerith, dwarf cerith, trochus, turbos, nassarius vibex, stocky cerith, astrea, bumblebee snail, zigzags
Probably the east African cerith then. I was thinking of Cortez ceriths , theirs are pretty small and thin.
 
Ya cerith, trochus don’t lay eggs they spawn, they get next to each other and release a milk like liquid containing sperm and eggs into the water column and is why you baby Trochus snails in your tank. Cerith eggs get eaten.
0D640C04-2EEE-42BE-BF49-29E4D51F9607.jpeg
 
Probably the east African cerith then. I was thinking of Cortez ceriths , theirs are pretty small and thin.
well if they last long enough for me to find out which ones they are, I will let everyone know. Interesting info about the trochus, explains why I have only one baby trochus and have never seen eggs. The only fish in the 20 gal are two springer damsels and two clowns. Hoping they don't get eaten by the coral banded shrimp either.
 
Cerith. It's unlikely they'll hatch but occasionally I find baby Ceriths. Still always fun to find eggs.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 5 25.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 6 30.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new