Certain zoa colonies not opening (photos)

Gatling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I have a year old nano tank and a few of my zoas aren't opening or partially open. I've carefully inspected them and I just cannot find any pests. My orange oxide has 3 heads and they've been closed for a few weeks now but still alive from the colouration. Same with another colony but it's partially closed. My other zoas are wide open so I'm sure it's not a water parameter issue.

Is there a general dip I should use if the zoas are not happy? Like j said I can't see any pests with my eyes or magnifying glass.

What other kinds of pests should I keep an eye out? I couldn't visibly see any nuttibronks or spiders.

IMG_20191013_141743.jpg

IMG_20191013_141735.jpg

VKP01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would keep an eye out for zoa pox. It would show up as yellowing, or kinda fuzzy white spots. You could preemptively treat for it, it shouldn’t be too stressful

OP
OP
Gatling

Gatling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would keep an eye out for zoa pox. It would show up as yellowing, or kinda fuzzy white spots. You could preemptively treat for it, it shouldn’t be too stressful
I just did a coral RX dip. I couldn't see anything up close! It's really strange. Since I nuked these corals, I'm gonna put them in my other tank and see if they prefer that

OP
OP
Gatling

Gatling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upon later inspection, I see some sort of worm/tube thing in the zoa! It's so incredibly small. What could this be? I can't find any info on it

(In the lower right polyp area)
IMG_20191017_221232.jpg

OP
OP
Gatling

Gatling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a tiny feather duster to me! They’re very common and completely harmless.
That's what I'm thinking. I know they're harmless but the fact that my zoas are 80% closed has me suspect that this guy is causing the issue. I actually dipped the whole thing in coral RX for 10min. Surprised that didn't die!

VKP01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never had any issues with them, the most it would do is irritate the polyps directly next to it IMO, but if you want to remove it you would simply need to break off the tube.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back