Chaeto detritus trap

ErikVR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I'm starting to notice that the ball of chaeto in my sump is turning into a detritus trap. Even though it is behind my filter cups with mechanical filtration. Is there a clever way of keeping it clean without rinsing it in a bucket and washing away pods in the process?

PS. it is tumbling 24 hours a day with the help of a low power powerhead in the sump.

OP
OP
ErikVR

ErikVR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turkey baste it every once In awhile or tumble it.
Sorry, I edited my post just before your comment to say that it's always tumbling.
Still within a week or so it's so dirty that it starts to turn browns instead of green.

person

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I edited my post just before your comment to say that it's always tumbling.
Still within a week or so it's so dirty that it starts to turn browns instead of green.
Why don’t you try shaking off the chaeto softly in your display tank to get the pods out and then clean it. I think it would be a good idea to do this with small portions of chaeto.

OP
OP
ErikVR

ErikVR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why don’t you try shaking off the chaeto softly in your display tank to get the pods out and then clean it. I think it would be a good idea to do this with small portions of chaeto.
Actually, the problem fixed 'itself'. I think my sump wasn't healthy enough in general.

I've added lots of pods and a couple of turbo snails to the sump a month or so ago.
Now the chaeto stays clean and it's bright healthy green with the addition of an AI prime fuge light as well.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 99 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.9%
Back