Chaeto Growing Light Question

Angustia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having a hard time finding the spectrum chart for the Radion G5 FW lights, compared with the new G6 Blue & Pro.

Wouldn't it be better to have a newer technology light if it could still grow Chaeto well with the G6 vs the G5? They are both almost the same price.

Or is there another light I should consider? I was trying to keep the lights in the same app, instead of having a bunch of apps and schedules, etc......

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For growing chaeto, I'd probably opt for one of the refugium lights on the market. They're going to generally be a lot less expensive and specifically designed for the task. I know Neptune has one. I'm trying to remember some of the others. I know there are several.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does not matter at all for chaeto. It grew well for me under a screw-in CFL from a big-box hardware store. Having iron in the water is way more important, IMO. A good light for chaeto is probably one of the last things that I would spend money on.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
For growing chaeto, I'd probably opt for one of the refugium lights on the market. They're going to generally be a lot less expensive and specifically designed for the task. I know Neptune has one. I'm trying to remember some of the others. I know there are several.
AI Fuge light, the small IM chaetomax 2-in-1 light, or eco chic light are other options.

@ OP: but as previously mentioned, you'll be better off buying a decent screw in bulb from home depot/lowes.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having a hard time finding the spectrum chart for the Radion G5 FW lights, compared with the new G6 Blue & Pro.

Wouldn't it be better to have a newer technology light if it could still grow Chaeto well with the G6 vs the G5? They are both almost the same price.

Or is there another light I should consider? I was trying to keep the lights in the same app, instead of having a bunch of apps and schedules, etc......
Home Depot 5500 K spotlight (~100 watt equivalent) close to the surface should work.

OP
OP
A

Angustia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the replies. I guess I should have said before that I’m getting my dream Cade tank and I don’t want to cut costs to cut costs. I’m looking for the best and easiest. Ecotech doesnt list the G6 Pro light spectrum. But I’d like to stay within the same technology baseline unless there is another light that is proven better.

I’ve read the chaeto likes blue and red lights. But how much red vs blue? What if it was more blue than red?

floridareeflabs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our 2 cents:

Chaeto likes full spectrum LED. Yes it will grow with special pinks and blues and CFL but (wink wink) we know full spectrum LED work the best (per producing lbs of chaeto weekly!).

Iron as said is important as well as ammonia, then phos and nitrate as well as stable params like alk/calc/mag.

Reach out to us if questions or struggles, we love to help!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 64 76.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 6.0%
Back