Chaeto- Nitrogen and Phos Ratio

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the "ratio" that Chaeto actually consumes Nitrates and Phosphates? I have noticed I am starting to get small patches of hair algae- nothing crazy yet. But my Refugium is going crazy (growing a ton), so I was thinking maybe I need to add a small amount of GFO? Is my Chaeto sucking up Nitrates but not as much Phosphates? Appreciate any help, have never had hair algae in my display before so I want to jump on it earlier rather than later.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, ratios are not useful for targeting N and P levels in a reef aquarium. The ratio consumed by an organism has nothing to do with optimal levels in the water. Calcium and alkalinity are a perfect example. There is far more calcium in seawater than there is alkalinity (or carbonate), but they are consumed by calcifying corals in a 1:1 ratio of calcium to carbonate.

What are your actual values?

Last edited:

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fwiw, chaeto and gha should be consuming similar amount of N and P.

Please keep in mind that NO3 and PO4 consumption isn't some linear sequence where they go into your fuge, gets sucked up by chaeto, then the the return pump pumps up clean water. Whats really happening is that no3 and po4 is being exposed to all organisms in your DT and sump at the same time so is being sucked up by everything at the same time as long as there's light to photosynthesize. Then this becomes a math game of relative surface area exposure, critical biomass of the chaeto vs nuisance algae, and the light conditions of DT vs Fuge. So, what end up happening is that just bc chaeto is growing in fuge doesn't mean gha can't grow elsewhere. The goal of the Fuge is to keep the competition in favor of the chaeto so that growth of nuisance else elsewhere is slowed, but never elinimated. Then its up to your CUC to keep it under control.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 30.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 53 81.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 16.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.6%
Back