Chaeto put to the test: Going beyond our expectations! (Part 1)

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys!

Today we're updating you on the Chaetomorpha test that we have been brewing for the last few weeks. What we found about fuge size and PAR really surprised us, so we couldn't just stop there!

As you can tell from the title, we are going to be changing it up with this test and will continue the investigation. So check out this first installment of the Chaeto test and let us know your thoughts!

-Randy

BiggieJohn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using the hang on fuge with cheto for about 6 months now and have been very happy with the nutrient export and algae control.
20G display, 10G sump, I have no fish, and only lightly populated with soft corals, Euphyllia and a Goniopora, but everything seems to be doing well.

Dapperjman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that this test looks promising, definitely following.

I use a cheap LED bulb over my fuge and I see similar results to the cheap bulb tested. The statement about the fuge light having to compete with the often times high dollar, powerful DT lights makes sense. I'm considering upping my game on the fuge light to see what happens.

MIchael10101

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about throwing a cheap pump at the end of the fuge that would pump water back to the beginning to effectively increase the contact time?

BSDS5000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is fantastic! Thank you for putting this together.

Apologies if I missed this but could we know how long the lights are being run for these test?

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be very interested to know the PAR output of the PAR38 bulb to perhaps match that to the number of CFL or even BR30 LEDs from a local hardware store.

Great point! I will run this by the investigation team (well, Aaron and Ryan :p) and see if we can to a quick measurement for the next installment.

This is fantastic! Thank you for putting this together. Apologies if I missed this but could we know how long the lights are being run for these test?

These are on a 12hr light cycle. :)

-Randy

MaiReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is a great test. I am curious to Cheato die off on an established tank. I still have figured out why when the nutrients get really low for an amount of time the Cheato dies off. I have not completely figured out the complete cause as other filtration remains the same, but I do however have not had a full die off once I upped the par in the refugium.

SharkLaser

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like your new toy. Those reagents are going to be expensive though :D

I found it interesting that you've had such a low PO4 reading with higher par bulbs.
Many seem to be struggling with fuges cleaning out NO3 while PO4 is still slowing going up. I wonder now if it has anything to do with biological and mechanical filtration that also takes some NO3 out, but not PO4.

Last edited:

Damon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for this test! As you guys know, many of us are already doing the same with some pretty powerful lighting.. And we hear constantly that it's a waste my naysayers.. I cracked up at the pH results as with powerful lighting, I've seen that myself also.. But.. What I did find interesting was your blending technique of the hair algea.. I'm going to try that on my tub as I upped the hours and recently got some hair algea in it.. Otherwise, I have never seen algea in the display with this setup.. Thank you again for the tests!

a1a6a4b0118c42f17a135c2a4fac5560.jpg

ReefingwithO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I created an algae reactor and it's the main filtration on a 10 gallon nano and my results are in line with what BRS got. It keeps nitrates at under 5 (i can't test below that with my current test kit) and phosphate at .03 with the Hanna ULR.

It's working well for me -

I do water changes once a month mainly to maintain parameters.

Nirethell

Typical Wannabe Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is fantastic! I just recently made a huge purchase through BRS and the Kessil was on my list to buy, I took it off last second thinking I might go with something else, but by judging by the preliminary results I see in that video, maybe I need to reconsider!

Arrecifero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be awesome if BRS also integrates Chaeto reactors to these tests and discussion since space is limited in many sumps and with other equipment already installed, a refugium is just not feasible. Would definitely love to see your results on these reactors' effectiveness as a nutrient export method.

rinckemd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great information! Did you guys mention the lighting period?
I want to know this also. I run the H380 on mine (Be sure to use grow mode and not bloom, it does not work as well), and my results are exactly like you've described so far. Hair algae included. I'm curious about the amount of time you are leaving the lights on.

Girish23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tride two time to growing cheato in my sump Refugium both time my cheato get in dead 1 week of time period i have 36 watt pll 6500 k lights in it i use reverse cycle of light time period 8 hrs

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 31.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 23.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back