Chaeto Reactor vs. Refugium

Hentz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Afternoon. I've been running a Chaeto Reactor (I believe from SeaSide Aquatics) since day one on my tank. It seemed to kind of help, but never seemed to be the main source of nutrient control..

I went about a month and a half with it not running. I didn't realize I unplugged the pump for it while the light was still on its schedule. Tested my PO4 one night and results came in at 1.48. This is when I realized it was off. However, ever since turning it back on my PO4 and Nitrates haven't changed any bit. My NO3 went town from 2-5ppm to 0-1ppm and now they're sitting back up at 2-5ppm.

It really doesn't seem my Chaeto Reactor is working which I chose in the first place because my sump wouldn't allow a refugium.

Though I'm slowly getting to the point where I'm debating on purchasing a sump to allow me to have a refugium as I've had great nutrient export experiences with them.

Thoughts?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having good luck with chaeto reactors, there's a few variables I found that make them work for me. 1st it has to properly sized for the tank, macro algae actually prefers less flow(I keep mine around 200-250gph), lighting(I found macros prefer warm white light around 6000k optimum) and lighting schedule(never more than 12 hours, I run around 9 and 10 hours). All these variables are adjusted to your tank. My tanks run around 10-15 nitrates and close to zero phosphates. I harvest 1/2 my macro about once a month. I've found mixing in some caulerpa or other macros work well also.

My refugiums have never performed as well as I would like, I blame it on too fast flow.

fishbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My DIY chaeto reactor is working too darn good. I had extremely high nitrates and phosphates (too high to register on my test kits). After a few weeks of running a 12hr light schedule, I had 0 nitrates and 0 phosphates which is too low for my liking. So I've been cutting the light schedule to try to get those numbers up a little.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you think it matches up to carbon dosing such as vinigar, vodka and NO3PO4X?

I also use nopox and may give the nod to nopox especially for larger tanks with a very high bioload. Running macro deepens on how much volume you can manage compared to how much nutrients you need to control. They all work, as an example; a large algae reactor or good size refuge will likely manage a heavy 90g. You start getting in the 200g range, you'll need a good size refuge, I don't know of any reactors large enough. There's also scrubbers which I find a huge pita. So nopox/carbon dosing is another great tool.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 46.0%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.9%
Back