Chaeto reactor working to well?

Z0RN

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I installed a diy chaeto reactor on my 20 gallon reef tank about 10 days ago. When I installed it, my nitrates were around 20 ppm. I tested my water today and it’s stripped my nitrates down to nearly 0! I’m worried that it’s working a little too well on my tank. I currently have my lights running every night for 7 hours.

Would it kill my chaeto if I only ran the lights for 6 or 7 hours every other day? Also, should I be dosing chaeto grow in order to ensure it doesn’t strip other nutrients from my tank?

dansyr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Commiserating with you! 20 gallons is a really hard size for nutrients. you do nothing and nutrients skyrocket, or else you have a single clump of macro that sucks everything up.

For what it's worth I'm still yo-yoing a bit on nutrients in a 20 gal mixed reef + chaeto/macros, if I do nothing it drops to zero so I try to dose but it's a bit of a tightrope. I've had the most stability with more regular pruning to keep the macros at a roughly constant size since their uptake feels roughly exponential.

Oiseaufeu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chaeto seems to thrive with less light than we normally give it, ime. Try 3 hours each night, feed more, and monitor closely. :cool:
I give my chaeto rizome sunlight all day. It’s so small that I can’t prune it or have it in a reactor. I got chaeto for free as an hitchicker from my rocks. I hope it’ll grow bigger soon! I’m not even sure if sunlight is good for chaeto algae.

OP
OP
Z

Z0RN

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Commiserating with you! 20 gallons is a really hard size for nutrients. you do nothing and nutrients skyrocket, or else you have a single clump of macro that sucks everything up.

For what it's worth I'm still yo-yoing a bit on nutrients in a 20 gal mixed reef + chaeto/macros, if I do nothing it drops to zero so I try to dose but it's a bit of a tightrope. I've had the most stability with more regular pruning to keep the macros at a roughly constant size since their uptake feels roughly exponential.
What’s your lighting schedule for the chaeto? I just reduced mine to every other day for 4.5 hrs. Hopefully just enough light for it to survive, you really don’t need much in a 20 gallon.

dansyr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s your lighting schedule for the chaeto? I just reduced mine to every other day for 4.5 hrs. Hopefully just enough light for it to survive, you really don’t need much in a 20 gallon.
Same as my DT because it's AIO, no external refugium, just tucked against AIO false wall. Lighting is pretty strong since I have full mixed reef, couple different macros (including halimeda, my favorite), zoas, lps, sps, clams. So everybody get a lot of light, chaeto is a dimmer area but still on same schedule as tank.

Oiseaufeu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have it in a tiny container out of the tank just because I’ll loose it in my main display. SoI, I’d say it gets around 6 hours of daylight per day if the morning isn’t very dark at 7 am.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 85 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.3%
Back