Chaeto reactor working to well?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Z0RN
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Z0RN

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 28, 2021
Messages
33
Reaction score
20
Location
saskatoon
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I installed a diy chaeto reactor on my 20 gallon reef tank about 10 days ago. When I installed it, my nitrates were around 20 ppm. I tested my water today and it’s stripped my nitrates down to nearly 0! I’m worried that it’s working a little too well on my tank. I currently have my lights running every night for 7 hours.

Would it kill my chaeto if I only ran the lights for 6 or 7 hours every other day? Also, should I be dosing chaeto grow in order to ensure it doesn’t strip other nutrients from my tank?
 
Commiserating with you! 20 gallons is a really hard size for nutrients. you do nothing and nutrients skyrocket, or else you have a single clump of macro that sucks everything up.

For what it's worth I'm still yo-yoing a bit on nutrients in a 20 gal mixed reef + chaeto/macros, if I do nothing it drops to zero so I try to dose but it's a bit of a tightrope. I've had the most stability with more regular pruning to keep the macros at a roughly constant size since their uptake feels roughly exponential.
 
Chaeto seems to thrive with less light than we normally give it, ime. Try 3 hours each night, feed more, and monitor closely. :cool:
I give my chaeto rizome sunlight all day. It’s so small that I can’t prune it or have it in a reactor. I got chaeto for free as an hitchicker from my rocks. I hope it’ll grow bigger soon! I’m not even sure if sunlight is good for chaeto algae.
 
Commiserating with you! 20 gallons is a really hard size for nutrients. you do nothing and nutrients skyrocket, or else you have a single clump of macro that sucks everything up.

For what it's worth I'm still yo-yoing a bit on nutrients in a 20 gal mixed reef + chaeto/macros, if I do nothing it drops to zero so I try to dose but it's a bit of a tightrope. I've had the most stability with more regular pruning to keep the macros at a roughly constant size since their uptake feels roughly exponential.
What’s your lighting schedule for the chaeto? I just reduced mine to every other day for 4.5 hrs. Hopefully just enough light for it to survive, you really don’t need much in a 20 gallon.
 
What’s your lighting schedule for the chaeto? I just reduced mine to every other day for 4.5 hrs. Hopefully just enough light for it to survive, you really don’t need much in a 20 gallon.
Same as my DT because it's AIO, no external refugium, just tucked against AIO false wall. Lighting is pretty strong since I have full mixed reef, couple different macros (including halimeda, my favorite), zoas, lps, sps, clams. So everybody get a lot of light, chaeto is a dimmer area but still on same schedule as tank.
 
What’s your lighting schedule for the chaeto? I just reduced mine to every other day for 4.5 hrs. Hopefully just enough light for it to survive, you really don’t need much in a 20 gallon.
I have it in a tiny container out of the tank just because I’ll loose it in my main display. SoI, I’d say it gets around 6 hours of daylight per day if the morning isn’t very dark at 7 am.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 7 24.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 7 24.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 3.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new