Chaeto Reactors compared to Algae Scrubbers

SantaMonica

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With more people wanting to use natural filtration for their tanks, we are going to look at the two main types of units that you can put on your system: Chaeto reactors (or "algae reactors") and algae turf scrubbers (ATS). We won’t be looking at refugiums however, since those have mostly a different purpose. This will be a multi-part post; the next post will start with the basics, so if you’d like anything in particular to be covered, let us know.

RainbowBrite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been thinking a lot about just this for a while now.. It will be very interesting to see what you come up with.

Good luck!

Fishhands

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering ats instead of fuge or along side one? I watched one of your videos and the fish was eating right from the scrubber.(nice) However, I wouldn't put one in my display. Also, in reference to above what "different" purpose would fuge be for? Other than pods.

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WP_20170908_19_59_13_Pro.jpg
I am experimenting @Paul B algae trough and the red dragon breath is thriving inside my canopy. The same fixture is lighting the trough and the display, no additional cost involved. And the amount of pods in it is unbelievable. I have yet to test my PO4, but my NO3 is taken care by my nitrate destroyer. Will update once I test my phosphate.

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice river. Yes as long as the flow is rapid it will functions as a scrubber.

It's kind of low flow actually. I can't have a lot of flow in that river, it will flood side ways (purposely made one side of the river lower so that water will overflow back into the display in the event of flooding:D). I am seeing fine string of algae in there as well. Any issue with low flow (1/5 of my return flow goes thru it)?

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully something good for me. I am not worry about nitrate, as it is lower than 5ppm now and phosphate lower than 0.25ppm. I am trying to get it somewhere within recommended level of 0.03ppm with the dragon breath. Just wanna know how it will affect my SPS coloration and growth with lower P. Thanks SantaMonica

OP
OP
SantaMonica

SantaMonica

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanna know how it will affect my SPS coloration and growth with lower P.

Most certainly brighter, and more rapid growth, unless there is something else wrong.

I'm not convinced that a chaeto reactor grows chaeto any better than a well-lit sump or refugium

Well this is what the comparison is about, sort of, and you should end up seeing how a fuge is not really equipted to compete with the others. But it's great for pods.

dragon breath in my trough

Looks like it is holding on! With increased flow however, and a lower water level (like a shallow river that is fast flowing), you will probably see it get covered in green hair. You'll see why soon :)

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can see some green growth at both end. Which is better in terms of phosphate absorption?. I don't really mind which will grow in there by the way :), the dragon breath has grown significantly above the water line now.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cool idea, SM! I'll be interested to see the results you guys come up with in your investigation.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back