Chaeto Reactors compared to Algae Scrubbers

TbyZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the algea scrubber grows a different type of algea than cheato.

which cheato?
My algae scrubber screen has Enteromorpha (Ulva) compressa (Linnaeus) Greville http://www.flora.sa.gov.au/efsa/algae_revealed/pdf/Enteromorpha_compressa.pdf
growing on it, as best as I can tell.

It appeared naturally, without seeding. I think that point, and the fact that algae grows faster with agitated air water tubulence, is why a scrubber is more efficient than a fuge or reactor. :)

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run both ATS and chaeto refugium. May mean my ATS is undersized, of course, but both grow well (though I do have to dose iron). I did build an experimental chaeto reactor, with LED rope light wrapped around the exterior. Performed no better than my sump refugium. Though I do use the without-peer Kessil H380 on said refugium and my sump is elevated so I also can light from underneath.

Dowzerjr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With more people wanting to use natural filtration for their tanks, we are going to look at the two main types of units that you can put on your system: Chaeto reactors (or "algae reactors") and algae turf scrubbers (ATS). We won’t be looking at refugiums however, since those have mostly a different purpose. This will be a multi-part post; the next post will start with the basics, so if you’d like anything in particular to be covered, let us know.

Dowzerjr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to know how well scrubbers work removing, ammonia, iron and any other common water contaminants also do Chaeto reactors remove contaminates as well

trido

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You say a fuge can’t compete with an ATS or a chaeto reactor. I also have to disagree. It would take an aweful big scrubber or reactor to keep up with the three gallons of calurpa I pull out of my 55 gallon refugium monthly. It seems like a very general statement to me, to say that a fuge can’t compete. How about a 100 gallon fuge?

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A small fuge can't grow as good as a srubber????

Shhhh....this 2.5 weeks growth for my tiny fuge didn't get the message?

H380 bleaches??

Shhhh....i run both a H350 AND an H80 over mine...18 hours a day. There is a secret to no bleaching and faster growth....you turn it (every day or two...it takes 10 seconds).... and force four or five holes in the sunny side until there is no where for it to grow.

Only gets light from top??? Not when you put additional side firing lights on the sump. I also add a little iron once a week.

Sump has low flow? Mine is small and gets 1,500 gallons per hour....
11bd688a40944ebdc59774affaac27b3.jpg

Jlentz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

H380 bleaches??

Shhhh....i run both a H350 AND an H80 over mine...18 hours a day. There is a secret to no bleaching and faster growth....you turn it (every day or two...it takes 10 seconds).... and force four or five holes in the sunny side until there is no where for it to grow.

Only gets light from top??? Not when you put additional side firing lights on the sump. I also add a little iron once a week.

You’re describing a massive reactor.

Z3speed4me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've just started trying out the ATS method about two weeks ago, it hasn't matured yet but I can start to see where it will be in the future

ChuzUThisDay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally yes the scrubber will win. But both have advantages which I will cover.

I don't want to sound like a total butt hole, but we're 6 weeks into this thread... I'd love to see the pros and cons of these covered. I'm currently debating on which to roll out to my tank.

TbyZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't want to sound like a total butt hole, but we're 6 weeks into this thread... I'd love to see the pros and cons of these covered. I'm currently debating on which to roll out to my tank.
I may be a total butt hole, so I'll ask "why is this thread dragging out over such a ridiculously long time? Why not get to the point(s)?

I'd also say it's going off topic, if there was a defined topic. ;Wacky

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I installed a waterfall ATS about 2 months ago. Zero phosphates and nitrates. Put on autofeeder and feeding 8 times a day. Phosphates went up to .015 corals looking better have not measured nitrates since I added auto feeder. Only have ATS, skimmer and a small amount of rox. Feeding so much my tangs won't touch nori much where before they would go through two large sheets a day along with other food. Corals looking better fish are fatter so far so good.

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When algae grows, what happen to the nitrate and phosphate being absorbed?. If nitrate and phosphate content can be measured from the algae, somebody should conduct a study which one contains more, weight to weight comparison. At least we know which one is better scientifically. End of argument!

ReefingwithO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

H380 bleaches??

I'm glad yours is working out. How "small" is your fuge that you are pumping 1500 gallons per hours through it?

My H380 was 4 inches away from the cheato, it was hard to keep it from bleaching and I don't want to go in and flip cheato every few days - I barely want to change filter socks every few days.

My cheato grows fine being lite from the top only. I don't have the space to light it from the sides.

Z3speed4me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flipping cheato with a pair of tongs is way quicker than taking out a sock. I mean we are talking 10 seconds of your time.

I was growing cheato just perfectly fine in my fuge with a cheap simple bulb from amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CH75SGY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1), but algae in the display was still growing a bit due to my heavy feeding. Threw it all to tumble in a small 20 gal breeder to keep it alive while I test out the ATS for a few months.

Agreed that pushing 1500gph is not a "small" fuge by any means....

trido

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may be a total butt hole, so I'll ask "why is this thread dragging out over such a ridiculously long time? Why not get to the point(s)?

I'd also say it's going off topic, if there was a defined topic. ;Wacky
Typical SantaMonica tactic that hasnt changed in many many years. Stir the pot and get people talking about his product. When I read the title and who posted it, I knew immediately that there would be no science or unbiased facts to this thread.

ChuzUThisDay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I installed a waterfall ATS about 2 months ago. Zero phosphates and nitrates. Put on autofeeder and feeding 8 times a day. Phosphates went up to .015 corals looking better have not measured nitrates since I added auto feeder. Only have ATS, skimmer and a small amount of rox. Feeding so much my tangs won't touch nori much where before they would go through two large sheets a day along with other food. Corals looking better fish are fatter so far so good.
Do you have any pics of it? Is it a DIY or did you purchase it? How much space does it take in/above your sump and what type of lighting do you have on it? Do you run any filter socks or mechanical filtration as well?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When algae grows, what happen to the nitrate and phosphate being absorbed?. If nitrate and phosphate content can be measured from the algae, somebody should conduct a study which one contains more, weight to weight comparison. At least we know which one is better scientifically. End of argument!

You'd need to grow them in the same water for the same amount of time, then total the N and P in each of them.

The weight percentage N and P in the algae itself is not really very important as a measure of their ability to remove N and P from the water.

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not convinced that a chaeto reactor grows chaeto any better than a well-lit sump or refugium.

It may not, but it keeps it contained, which chaeto can be very messy and get everywhere. It also has the added benefit of not growing micro algae all over your sump.

I'm curious with a turf scrubber if it releases spores or micro algae into the tank.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 14 46.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 11 36.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.3%
Back