Chaeto. To spin or not to spin?

3000kelvin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running a 29g BioCube with an inTank media and fuge basket with chaeto in chamber 2. My chaeto doesn’t spin, so I’ve been rotating it manually. Is this fine? Does chaeto need to spin?

diverjm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running a 29g BioCube with an inTank media and fuge basket with chaeto in chamber 2. My chaeto doesn’t spin, so I’ve been rotating it manually. Is this fine? Does chaeto need to spin?
I’m in the same boat in my 32g Biocube. I noticed if I don’t spin it once a week I get some algae growth on it. The Chaeto grows like a mad man though. I’m removing 50%-75% weekly!

geeked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I elevate mine with egg crate and have a power head blow under to keep detritus from settling. too much breakage to tumble. caused my skimmer and return pump to clog

Wiskey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it spins then it gets light all the way around it, effectively increasing it's light intake and growth. That's great in theory, but in practice it's actually really hard to pull off reliably. On my nano tank I used a submersible little LED light to try and get more light around the Cheato to have the same effect.

Whiskey

nothing_fancy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't need to spin. I have a little sicce nano in my HOB fuge thats setup to spin the chaeto ball, which it does. However, sometimes it doesn't and it'll be stuck in place for a week before I notice. Hasn't made much of a difference. I trim the parts off where the other algae builds up

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine doesn't spin but spinning might keep detritus from building up on it. I just manually rotate and it has grown fine for almost 2 years.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 4 5.2%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 61 79.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.2%
Back