Chaeto with weak fuge light?

  • Thread starter Thread starter sogdog
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

sogdog

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 3, 2022
Messages
113
Reaction score
63
Location
Orange County
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it worth getting Chaeto for the refugium if I’m using a weak light, or is it only if the PAR is similar? Trying to figure out low maintenance ways of lowering nutrients
 
Is it worth getting Chaeto for the refugium if I’m using a weak light, or is it only if the PAR is similar? Trying to figure out low maintenance ways of lowering nutrients
Cheato is not likely to grow with low light intesity.
 
Is it worth getting Chaeto for the refugium if I’m using a weak light, or is it only if the PAR is similar? Trying to figure out low maintenance ways of lowering nutrients
Chaeto generally isn't worth it unless you can grow it to export nutrients at a speed that makes a meaningful dent relative to the speed at which they are entering your system.


Personally I think worrying about nitrate levels and phosphate levels is a fools errand because the equipment required to test them precisely is expensive and the tests aren't that great save for salifert and some of the more expensive ones and you can safely have tanks go upwards of 300 nitrate depending on what else you got in the tank. I'm not saying lowering it won't make things unhappy. I'm saying the problem is you don't have enough archaea or surface area. maybe your numbers aren't even that bad anyway.

If you want a refugium with macro, I suggest you do it. If you don't care or are expecting some epiphany... Then no I probably wouldn't tell you to bother with it.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 23.1%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 28.2%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new