Chaeto won’t grow

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was a typo. Keep in mind that the ocean is about .05 to .1, so 10x is just 1 in our world. People keep 100 or 1000x the nitrate as nature. Also, you do know that most corals and their zoox cannot use nitrogen from nitrate and need to be getting their nitrogen from ammonia/ammonium, right? I know that this is a common message board and social media myth that somehow people are feeding their corals by dosing nitrate or keeping them higher, but it is just that. Some hosts can convert no3 for the zoox to use, but it comes at a high cost of around 30 to 60 percent. Macro algae can use no3 in that form but it can also kill them as it gets higher - most macro can also use ammonia/ammonium. You can use it to growth limit and poison dinos and some matting bacteria.

This is basic biology... all building blocks are death at high enough of levels.

I do have .1 nitrate - you need an IC test to detect it. In no ways are my corals starved for nitrogen with super heavy feedings and super heavy export.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was a typo. Keep in mind that the ocean is about .05 to .1, so 10x is just 1 in our world. People keep 100 or 1000x the nitrate as nature. Also, you do know that most corals and their zoox cannot use nitrogen from nitrate and need to be getting their nitrogen from ammonia/ammonium, right? I know that this is a common message board and social media myth that somehow people are feeding their corals by dosing nitrate or keeping them higher, but it is just that. Some hosts can convert no3 for the zoox to use, but it comes at a high cost of around 30 to 60 percent. Macro algae can use no3 in that form but it can also kill them as it gets higher - most macro can also use ammonia/ammonium. You can use it to growth limit and poison dinos and some matting bacteria.

This is basic biology... all building blocks are death at high enough of levels.

I do have .1 nitrate - you need an IC test to detect it. In no ways are my corals starved for nitrogen with super heavy feedings and super heavy export.
I don't disagree with anything you're saying above.

Yes i know that the most efficient way to feed coral is by dosing low level ammonia.

I think we're arguing over nothing.

Now if only I could get my nitrates under 20ppm. Lol

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool. I just want folks to understand that too high of N or P can growth limit macro growth. It is a cruel joke from nature since those with higher N and P need the macro to use it up the most.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s 9 watts, should I increase to something higher? Originally I thought the flow was too strong and I’ve adjusted that so it seems to only issue might be the lighting
A trickle of flow is sufficient, chaeto will grow in a bucket of dirty tank water.
Maximize chances of success with high par; raise the chaeto to the water surface with live rock or egg crate. Use a bright horticulture light like this:
COB LED Grow Light Full Spectrum, CANAGROW 100W Waterproof Grow Lights for Indoor Plants, Plant Growing Lamp with New Technology, Natural Heat Dissipation Without Noise

Gkrockman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to increase the flow of water in my HOB AquaFuge 2 to create more water movement. Any recommendations for a powerhead small enough that won't get all gunked up with macroalgae and create more water movement?

Obsessed with fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know why the chaeto isn’t growing in my sump or what happens to it ‍♀️ It just slowly disappears. I wish regular algae would be as easily removed.
I’ve ordered more chaeto since I’m not ready to give up, if it dies off again I’m wondering what else I might try growing in my refugium?
as far as my current set up I have a basket set up positioned after my protein skimmer and before the return chamber, there’s rubble rock in the bottom of the basket as fish net material lining it so the chaeto doesn’t escape through the basket openings. A small nano power mead is running in the sump, I’m adding chaeto grow daily and running a 9 watt IM 2in one chaeto light from 8 pm to 8am.
I don’t know what I’m doing wrong and why it isn’t surviving
Calcium levels?

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know why the chaeto isn’t growing in my sump or what happens to it ‍♀️ It just slowly disappears. I wish regular algae would be as easily removed.
I’ve ordered more chaeto since I’m not ready to give up, if it dies off again I’m wondering what else I might try growing in my refugium?
as far as my current set up I have a basket set up positioned after my protein skimmer and before the return chamber, there’s rubble rock in the bottom of the basket as fish net material lining it so the chaeto doesn’t escape through the basket openings. A small nano power mead is running in the sump, I’m adding chaeto grow daily and running a 9 watt IM 2in one chaeto light from 8 pm to 8am.
I couldn't grow it until I was about a year in. Bought it, disappeared, was given some a couple months later and it was fine. The first batch lasted a couple months then just stopped growing and died back.
Is say wait a few months and try again with a daylight bulb.

King_CRAB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My chaeto grows like a weed with this light.

Back