Chaetodon Modestus

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk about the deep water low light suggestion, but many people have decent luck with a lot of the non reef safe butterflies. Trial and error though.

I've only stuck to reef safe proven butterflies but very cool fish. I had a Chaetodon pelewensis (or the one that is often confused with, forget the name) and it ate up a chalice quick but not zoas or shroom or euphillia from what i can remember.

Yellow long nose and copper band in my reef with no issues but both will kill clams fast.

My kids reef has a pyramid, completely reef safe even leaves clams alone.

I'd really like to try a raccoon or that pakastani black /red one but i have no guts.

Last edited:

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Modestus is currently in the genus Roa.

This deep water genus, though not entirely reef safe, are safer than many other butterflies. Keeping them well fed will help.

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All fish have different personalities. Some may destroy your coral, others will act like its not even there. It is a 50/50 chance of roulette withe any non reef safe fish. What i would do is find someone who would be willing to take it if it does happen to start nipping at coral then order so you have a backup. Unless you have another tank for the butterfly alone.

TheRealDmorty217

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you think it's worth shot , if I keep it fed well?

I would ask Caribfan (Matt) on RC, he has one that he got from Michael (I assume that's where you're thinking of getting one from) He can offer you insight to this fish. He doesn't have corals in his tank though so not sure how much help he will be for the reef safe aspect

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 45 32.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 36 26.3%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 28 20.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 27 19.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back