ChaetoGro Alternatives?

MarsReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Chaeto has been growing pretty slowly, not really out competing the algae in my DT. I wanted to try dosing some micro-nutrients to help speed up its growth and hopefully outcompete the existing algae. I see Brightwell has ChaetoGro which people seem to have success with, but based on their dosing instructions i'm paying 99% for water.

Is there any special different in reef micronutrients compared to freshwater? I used to use CSM+B in my freshwater tank which worked great, but it does contain chelated copper, and chelated iron and zinc which i'm not sure is still a useable form of iron in such a high pH environment. Is there a comparible saltwater product? a $10 bag of that stuff was enough for a year, where as brightwell wants $20 a month.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without knowing the copper amount, it's not possible to say if it is too much, but DIY trace elements is not hard, especially iron.

Chelated iron is generally most useful, but it depends on the chelator.

OP
OP
MarsReefer

MarsReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without knowing the copper amount, it's not possible to say if it is too much, but DIY trace elements is not hard, especially iron.

Chelated iron is generally most useful, but it depends on the chelator.
any recipes posted around here that you know of? I certainly don't mind mixing it myself

NkSde

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been testing some fluorish from the fresh side, with a white grow light in the fuge

no whitening, not the rapid growth I was hoping tho.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Won’t dosing iron and manganese also increase the speed in which your DT algae grows as well? Especially if it is hair algae that easily out grows and out competes chaeto. Excess “food” for your chaeto is also excess food for all algae

If you want, just look up diy iron and diy manganese.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Chaeto has been growing pretty slowly, not really out competing the algae in my DT. I wanted to try dosing some micro-nutrients to help speed up its growth and hopefully outcompete the existing algae. I see Brightwell has ChaetoGro which people seem to have success with, but based on their dosing instructions i'm paying 99% for water.

Is there any special different in reef micronutrients compared to freshwater? I used to use CSM+B in my freshwater tank which worked great, but it does contain chelated copper, and chelated iron and zinc which i'm not sure is still a useable form of iron in such a high pH environment. Is there a comparible saltwater product? a $10 bag of that stuff was enough for a year, where as brightwell wants $20 a month.
I understand your feeling about the dilute nature of CheatoGro. Keep in mind you are not likely going to dose the recommended amount. I found 1/7 that amount is enough to turn my Cheato from limp spinach-like algae to thicker more rigid fronds.

You might try CheatoGro to see if it helps. You don’t want to be spending too much time and effort economizing on trace element products if that is not the problem.

NkSde

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t edit my post but I have noticed some strand thickening in the strands with flourish

It wasn’t struggling really to begin with but an getting decent survivability and recovery signs from the minimal thinning it had.

about on par w what I expected idk you’re chem tho.

OP
OP
MarsReefer

MarsReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well i've been digging into my fuge to try and get more output before I start dosing... turns out my fuge light is busted somehow. It lights up and looks like its on, but it is currently giving me a grand total of 7 PAR at my Chaeto. So looks like I can hold off on the dosing, I think I know why it isn't growing...

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.7%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.1%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 77 42.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back